PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I was channel surfing a bit last night and ran across a show called American Pickers. From what I could gather, it's about a couple of guys who go around searching for and buying so-called collectables.
They were visiting an old hardware store that was literally filled with old gas station signs, pumps, oil cans, and assorted other collectables. They were greeted by an older gent with a black eye he wouldn't discuss and a lit pipe hanging from his mouth.
Normally such a show wouldn't even catch my interest, but seeing the old gent with his pipe made me watch for a few minutes. It was obvious that the few minutes I had watched actually took place over relatively long period of time, perhaps a couple of hours or more, and the gent always had his pipe, and it was always lit, and always the same pipe.
I suspect he is one of the old school single pipe/single tobacco sort of smokers that were common "back in the day".
I just really enjoyed the fact that he kept his pipe smoking during the show despite the current PC trend to not show people smoking on television. Cudos to the network (History Channel?) for not trying to edit out that gent's pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I saw the show and had the same reaction Mason -- though I didn't have your presence of mind

to realize that the filming must have taken a relatively long time.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Sometimes on the comedy medical sitcom "Scrubs", the chief of medicine smokes a pipe.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
I saw the show and had the same reaction Mason -- though I didn't have your presence of mind

to realize that the filming must have taken a relatively long time.
Well, it took them some time to sort through the stuff in each section, but they only showed the brief bits about the things they actually wanted to buy for the most part. Time compression is pretty standard for these sorts of shows.
I just wonder if some PC staffer didn't try to make the guy put away his pipe, or at least put it out. If so, it obviously failed as he was puffing away the entire time LOL

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I caught that episode myself and he seems like a stand up guy to me. Though having the pipe in common might bias me. :lol:
Honestly I really like that show. I just love to see all the cool old stuff they find being another lover of that sort of stuff.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
I caught that episode myself and he seems like a stand up guy to me. Though having the pipe in common might bias me. [:lol:]
Honestly I really like that show. I just love to see all the cool old stuff they find being another lover of that sort of stuff.
Yeah, he also struck me as a "regular guy" type.
Honestly, most of what people consider collectables seems silly to me, but I recognize they might feel the same about our pipes.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
American Pickers is one of the few shows I watch anymore. Its as much about the weird things they find as the odd characters they meet.

I would guess there was no persuasion to put the pipe out. Judging by some of the folks they've run into, I don't think theres any attempt to edit the character of people they meet. Just everyday folks, with odd interests (obsessions in some cases)

I think they know half the appeal of the show is the interesting people they meet, it seems to me they have always enjoyed meeting them too.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Anyone remember the original Inspector Gadget show?

Chief.jpg

Chief_quimby.jpg

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
That was a good episode of pickers,i actually was trying to figure out if he was smoking a grabow it looked like a older style.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
With such an old pipe-smoking "character", I'd think any "P.C. commissar" in the crew would have gotten the pipe up his nose if he suggested the old boy put the pipe down. :lol:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's great that the show had a guy smoking a pipe in several scenes.
:laughat:

I'd think any "P.C. commissar" in the crew would have gotten the pipe up his nose if he suggested the old boy put the pipe down
LOL Jimbo.
Sometimes on the comedy medical sitcom "Scrubs", the chief of medicine smokes a pipe.
I have never seen the show. Does it show him actually smoking it, with smoke coming out, or simply holding/clenching it without any visible smoke?
I'd like to know that too.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
To answer Kevin's and pipetrucker's question: yeah, it shows him actively smoking it with smoke a brewin' and everything. Especially on the later seasons. But of course, being a medical series, they often rag on it as being hypocritical for a Dr. to smoke.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Just watched a movie this morning that was made in 1999 called 'To Walk With Lions".
The star of the movie was Richard Harris who puffed on one of couple pipes throughout the movie... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.