Teeth

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

capnbellamy

Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
I keep hearing that pipe smoking for several years will wear down your teeth; I'm in the lucky position of having had braces when alot younger and so having a perfect-sized space in my mouth or tooth...line from which to clench/smoke from. Have any of you guys ever had problms with this?

pipetrucker

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
A good many of my teeth were knocked out or broken in a car accident so I have different issues with pipe smoking. It's one of the reasons I use softy bits. Eventually I'll get dentures when I can afford the time off.
As to your question, I have heard the same and am sure it has to do with doing a lot of clenching. I can easily imagine clenching a hard bit will over time cause tooth wear. Perhaps another good reason for softy bits?

forsooth

Feb 18, 2011
I agree with pipetrucker. Padding around the bit (I use latex tubing, not Softy Bits) are a big part of the solution. The other part, I think, is to try to minimize the clenching (unless you enjoy clenching, which some pipe smokers do). I generally sit while smoking and let my hands carry the weight of the pipe. I also shift the pipe from side to side as I smoke to avoid "hot spots" on my gums, teeth, and tongue.

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Ugh; I am going under the drill tomorrow for a double root-canal, and not looking forward to it...although it will be nice to be able to relax and enjoy a pipe again. The affected teeth are right where the bit sits on the right, so no enjoyment there; when I clench on the left, the smoke-stream seems to b-line directly for the exposed nerves.
Mind you, that hasn't stopped me...

capnbellamy

Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
I do clench, personally. Though only one of my pipes has any marks to show for it, thanks to the handy gap. And there was me thinking 4 years of braces wasn't really worth it!