PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I know some of us prefer tea over coffee. I being one of them. I've recently got into loose leaf tea and could use some recommendations. Or even some links/recommended sites. (PMed as I don't believe form rules allow for links to non-sponsor sites... even if it has to do with tea) I've been drinking Lipton tea for a while but have been wanting to branch out.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
I'm also a "tea instead of coffee" person. If you are into loose leaf, then Upton Tea Imports is the place for you. Personally, I find dealing with loose leaf tea is too much of a hassle. Once and while, yes... but not for everyday.
Edit: Odd.. the link goes right back to the PM forum. That function must be disabled at the moment. Just Google "Upton Tea" and follow the links.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like loose tea better, but it's more time consuming. I tend to go back to using bags. P&G Tips (hope I have that right)

the Indian tea, is my favorite these days. Jasmine is good. Surprisingly, though I grew up on Liptons, and still drink it

when it's offered, I have found that many house brand grocery store black teas are a little sweeter and less acidic.

Grab the water just as it boils, warm the bottom of the pot with a bit of hot water, then fill the pot, and throw in the

tea in infuser or bags. I would't leave it steep with the bags more than a few minutes. If you need it stronger, add more

bags or tea. But remove them fairly soon, to keep it from being acidic. Or those are my notions. I love coffee, but tea

doesn't wind you up and drop you cold the way coffee does. It's a gentler caffeine experience.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I generally prefer coffe, but I'll drink tea pretty often as well, especially at a late breakfast or in the middle or evening of a cold day. I really only drink three, one being a local (to my hometown) formosa oolong looseleaf, the the others being Irish Breakfast and English Breakfast by Twining's. Both are very, very good for bag teas. I never get tired of the Irish, and I easily drink two cups of it for every one of the others.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
The rules are very clearly written you can check if your unsure of one. Yes we can post links if were not affiliated with the company.
If your like Lipton then you should try teavana, they exclusively sell loose leaf *i believe* and they have a wide variety to choose from such as floral chai and your more basic green black and white teas. They are a little pricy but still cheaper than soda.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
I prefer coffee over tea but I do enjoy Irish Breakfast by Twining's. I have not tried a tea that gives that same jolt of caffeine as coffee, but if there is one out there, please recommend it. I would love to try it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I love a good cup of Earl Grey. I think Harney & Son's makes some of the best tea.

https://www.harney.com/
Also if you're ever in NY they have a shop in NYC and also up in Millerton NY.
I also find this specific tea from Lipton is quite good. It's got the typical Earl Grey taste from the bergamot but it also has a very light lemon taste for me.
615-612161-erl_grey_pyrmid_300x300.png

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I've been a tea drinker for all my life, but only recently started to venture in the world of quality loose leaf tea. It was quite a revelation to try better quality loose leaf and learn to steep them properly. I haven't yet gone all out Gong Fu style yet, but I can see doing it it the future.
What I do now is use a steeper mug (pic below) where the leaves have more room to expand. It's really quite simple to use and doesn't take much time. In this style you use better quality tea, more tea per pot/mug, but you can enjoy several infusions from the same tea leaves. It's totally different world from tea bags - like comparing instant coffee and quality coffee from freshly roasted & ground beans.
SMztRZz.jpg

I like Chinese and Japanese greens, Oolongs from China and Taiwan, and Chinese pu-erh teas. I don't care for sweetened and flavored blends or tisanes much.
I really recommend everyone to try a good tea.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
I have not tried a tea that gives that same jolt of caffeine as coffee, but if there is one out there, please recommend it. I would love to try it.
You won't find a tea with anywhere near the caffeine of coffee. I see you like Twinings Irish Breakfast.. if I may suggest another, Thompson's Irish Breakfast has a fuller flavor than Twinings IMO. It is available nationwide now.

300.JPG

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Im a big coffee drinker in the mornings and a tea drinker at night. I love my sleepytime tea before bed!

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
In my haste to get some tea (very few replies had been posted) I used a site my brother told me about called David's Tea. Turns out the company was in Canada... so I get to see how well Canadian Post handles international orders. However, that said I checked out some of the sites posted and liking what I see so far. If I decide to go TeaAD (TeAD? can we make that a thing?) crazy again I'll use some of those.
If your like Lipton then you should try teavana, they exclusively sell loose leaf *i believe* and they have a wide variety to choose from such as floral chai and your more basic green black and white teas. They are a little pricy but still cheaper than soda.
I have some Teavana tea and while I enjoy it I really don't care for the company, especially since it was bought out by Starbucks recently. Samurai Chai is one of my favorite tea's ever.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
If you're into loose leaf, definitely check out the IngenuiTea Teapot.
They work fantastically (I have 2), here's a video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el02EHxRoZg

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
I generally use pu-erh, or green tea, but for a tea with the caffeine burst of coffee, try some yerba mate.
Tom

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
God I love tea....sweet tea....green tea...creme tea...tea over coffee anyday of the week!

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Rayje, I agree they can be pushy in the stores but if you buy online you avoid that problem. As for being part if Starbucks I'm okay with that to, hate Starbucks if you want but they use quality beans and quality machines, they even have different temps they use for there teas and beans. Also both Starbucks and teavana give a decent amount to charities, and there variety can't be beat.
If your looking for more of an "indie" company adagio.com sells my favorite tea Tikuanyin, it's a fermented green tea, slightly sweet and mineral taste. I'm sure other companies sell this tea as well though, a quick google search showed a few different places to buy it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.