PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
You know, there ain't nothing like it, Shain. Actually, over this last winter season, I've consumed far more tea than coffee--highly unusual for me, as I'm someone with a wee bit of blood in their coffee stream--and have made many little "flavor discoveries" of my own. Being able to slug back a couple gallons of tea over the course of a day is a lot easier on my system, and I'm sure a lot easier on the nerves of those people around me :mrgreen:

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I absolutely agree with the tea and a pipe. I really enjoy a Green Tea as of late, some red berry mixture of some sort.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
TEA! The life blood of us British! If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to give up either tea or tobacco I would really be in a dilemma. Life without one of those two leaves would be terrible.
Remember - the key to a great cup of tea is to follow these simple rules;

1. Always use fresh water (don't reboil the stuff left in the kettle)

2. Make sure the water is boiling. Near boiling is not good enough.

3. If you use a tea pot - warm it first by filling it with hot water and emptying it out again.

4. In a cup - use one tea bag - in a pot 1 bag for each person plus one extra "for the pot".

5. Whether you are making a brew in a cup or teapot, take the cup/teapot to the boiling water and never the other way round (ie less time for the water to cool)

6. Brew for at least 3-4 minutes (I like to leave it 8-10 minutes to make, what we call, builders tea).

7. Add a splash of milk if required (try to avoid sugar if you can)

8. ENJOY! - Find a comfortable spot, light a large pipe and drink the perfect brew.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I agree with dgerwin11, but a nice double espresso from my Bialetti pot is also a fit accompaniment.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I think tea is likely my favourite drink with a pipe. I usually use loose tea that I buy from a chain store called DAVE'S TEA. Outlets all over.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
I made the switch over from coffee in the evening with my pipe to tea. I can honestly say that I have noticed more in the way of "taste" in blends that I never noticed while drinking coffee. But still reach for the java in the morning with my EMP.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I love tea, and with all the good and factual news concerning the health benefits of green tea, I try to have at least one cup a day. Especially line Mencha and Sencha Teas. I am fortunate that I have a friend who married a wonderful Japanese woman, and he is very versed in Oriental teas. Following his suggestions, I have discovered a whole new, and satisfying level of tea appreciation. Coffee in the morning, Tea in the afternoon.
A little bit of trivia. In Cuban cigar factories, the taste testers / quality control folks drink tea while smoking cigars. I have tried it, and it is lovely.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I was just thinking about this. Do some teas go better with different blends? Like aros with a milder/darker tea, or an English with Sweeter/stronger teas? I have wanted to try this, but am not sure where to start. I love tea and have plenty of it(oolongs, green tea, Pu-erh), but I have never combined anything with a good smoke. Any help from the more seasoned folk would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
-Jim

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@jvandy..that is an interesting question. Although I have never experimented like what you have described I do know that in mornings I like English Breakfast tea and in evening I like Earl Grey.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
@barkar, I really enjoy the stronger teas like English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast, and I like to have my Chinese teas in the evening (oolong, green, etc.). Good Stuff!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I was just thinking about this. Do some teas go better with different blends? Like aros with a milder/darker tea, or an English with Sweeter/stronger teas?
Of course this is largely a matter of personal taste, as in everything gustatory that we indulge in. With that proviso, I'll be happy to share what works for me, as it's something I've obviously given a lot of thought to (perhaps too much :lol: )
Early Grey is a wonderful tea that it's hard to get a bad cup of, and comes with a surprising variety within its flavor profile according to which brand it is. I've lately been very pleased with St. Dalfour Organic Earl Grey, Twinings Lady Grey, Rishi Tea's "Earl Grey Supreme", and Silk Road's "London Fog". What makes it so great for pipe smoking is the added hint of bergamot oil; this, combined with the tea's naturally light acidity, makes for a soothing balm against the alkalinity of the more tart Virginia tobaccos, and also serve to highlight the citrusy notes in them. Earl Grey is my go-to for bright VAs and VaPers, for sure.
Now if my VaPer hankering veers a little to the left and starts to include Orientals in it (NYPC Bedloe's Island, C&D Sunday Picnic, GLP Cairo, McClelland Drama Reserve & Smyrna 1, etc.) I crave crisper, brighter teas--white & yellow teas, Darjeelings well-steeped--and when the weather's warmer, herbal blends and tisanes with complimentary profiles.
Smokier teas also pair surprisingly well with sweeter tobaccos--Lapsang Souchong with McC #24, or a smoked Sho Pu-erh with a nice Peterson aromatic, for example. Oddly, in the case of tea & tobacco, I haven't found a good smoky tea / Latakia tobacco combo...yet. But I'm looking.
Latakias go best with iced sweet Ceylon tea, next-best with sharp green tea, third best with certain herbal blends--at least in my book. They're trickier to balance the complexity of flavors against complimentary and complementary profiles.
I do hope you enjoy the balancing act and the journey of exploration with pairings! It's a wonderful education to learn about your own tastes through practical application.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
@romeowood, thanks for your insight on this one. Exactly what I was looking for, and I am excited to give a few of these pairings a try! Thanks
-Jim

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@romeowood....you really have put some thought into this.

As a tea drinker / tea lover I will take your info under advisement because I also have found tea to be great with tobacco but I had no idea why.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Usually have a cup of hot tea before bed. It for go well with a pipe no doubt!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I was always strictly a coffee drinker until an story I read a couple of years ago. Then I ordered some Yorkshire Tea. Got it from Amazon actually. Now I wouldn't go without my afternoon tea and pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.