PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Hello everyone!
I know its common to smoke your favorite blends and drink some spirits/beers. Does anyone sip tea with there baccy? I have been experimenting with this and love it! Capitalteas.com has great high quality teas and because of our high expectations of quality tobacco, us tobacco hobbist can transfer that expectation to high quality teas. Just food for thought. I am starting a tea cellar now to go with my tobacco cellar. So far I have a few ounces of capital teas flavors: blue mountain oolong, enchanted forest yerbe mata, big apple fruit tisane, and dolly madison fruit tisane.
Check out the teas and let me know if you dig it!
my youtube channel as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLojCkvR8e4XOAnncgAkDmA

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I'm with you, I just picked up some Pu-erh and Russian Caravan from Uptons. Another slippery slope to enjoy.
I normally drink water or seltzers but found that tea is very cleansing to the palate and goes perfectly with a pipe. My basement/lounge area is turning into a Ball jar showroom.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Ok I'll bite, I'm gonna go out right now and smoke a bowl of C&D Espresso while drinking an Earl Grey brew. I've never tried tea and tobacco, usually its a coffee...

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Tea and tobacco are great companions. However, I've found smokier blends like Russian Caravan don't go so well with the pipe...more smoke than my palate can handle, I guess.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
I will almost always have a nice cup of tea when I sit down to a pipe. It tends to be an English style tea, made strong with a splash of milk (definitely NOT Coffee creamer). I love English Breakfast, Earl Grey (which pairs perfectly with MacBaren Vanilla Flake) or Russian Caravan (which works well with Virginia blends).

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I used to find that Earl Grey went well with everything from straight VA's to big Orientals. I've since dropped pairing the tea to pipes and have now stick exclusively to hot water with lemon. I find it keeps the palate fresh whereas the astringency of the black tea sometimes left me with a bit of a worn out tongue, particularly with fuller blends.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Been doing hot tea for breakfast since I was a kid. For the pipe, I like nothing better than simple Lipton Orange Pekoe. For my evening commute, I'll take a cup of ice tea to go with my afternoon pipe.
I like Earl Grey as well but as the years progress I find myself regressing back to old American favorites: Lipton tea, Folgers or Maxwell House coffe (preferrably brewed on campfire in a real percolator, French's mustard, Miller draught/Pabst Blue Ribbon (Nothing beats PBR at an oyster bar).
I haven't yet re-aquired a taste for Sunbeamn or any other white bread.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
I have never been much of a tea drinker except good sun tea. Yes I know I am not supposed to make sun tea anymore as it will cause Death or something to happen, but I like it so whatever lol. I delved into hot tea and enjoy them also. But I love Lapsang souchong, it is strong and has a smokey taste which I find delightful! I particularly like it with some Latakia. I now really enjoy hot tea with a pipe!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
My favorite is Hu-Kwa, MTWendell"s very delicate, Formosan Lapsang, but not with a pipe, it tends to ruin the experience. I like other black teas like Scottish Breakfast or Caravan with a pipe.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Hopefully Pat (pruss) will chime in here. He is basically a coffee/tea sommelier and has forgotten more about the subject than I will ever know

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
This is a good education thread guys! Thank you! Teas and pipes is my new relax time. Lets keep collaborating with what blends your smoking and what teas your pairing them with and I will combine them for a nice list.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I love to drink tea with pipes. I prefer some of Harney & Son's oolong tea's.
In particular Li Shan and Fenghuang Shiuxian. Li Shan is very light and goes well with Virginia's where as I find Fenghuang Shiuxian as being more brisk which works really well with Latakia based blends.
Li Shan Oolong
Fenghuang Shixian Oolong
I stick to just the loose tea. Dragon Pearl Jasmine is pretty good as well. I think that goes really well with some of the black cavendish blends I like to smoke. I need to try the DPJ with some Oriental blends like Yenidje Highlander.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Tea is my regular drink with the pipe (at least in winter) but I have to confess that I am a philistine: It´s East Frisian tea bags from the supermarket. :lol:

OK, ok, ok. So, I am now piqued. So, you like straight teas, but you want to drink them with aromatic tobaccos. Now, I am not one to bash aromatics at all... much. But, why not just drink a vanilla tea? Raspberry tea? Why keep the tea so pure and complex, if you are going to just bulldozer over the tobacco with flavors?
Keep in mind, I am not ranting, just really curious. Is the natural taste of the tea more important than the tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.