PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
We also can't expect others who don't share our views to condone our own brand of civil disobedience, so using this forum to plan unlawful activities makes us all conspirators, I suppose.
This site is about pipe smoking. The rules lay out that fact as well as how the discourse will be conducted. Illegal activity cannot be condoned. It's just that simple. Regardless of their merit there are plenty of other venues for sharing illegal ideas. I like this site and want it to stick around for a while. Let's trust the moderators to keep it safe and sound for many years to come.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I understand the rules of this site, but I can still give you my opinion on tax without breaking the law.
The law of demand states that there is an inverse relationship between quantity demand and its price, that is, all else being equal, as the price of a product increases, the quantity demanded falls, and as the price decreases, the quantity demanded increases. This table shows the mechanics of this law as the red line shifts to the right (demand) along the blue line (supply):
supplyanddemand_zps168adf15.png

An exception to this rule are both the so called Giffen and Veblen goods, but I shall not go into this topic, interesting though it is, to keep this post short and easy to read. As for this post, this trend clearly shows that the nanny state perspective does not work when it all comes down to lecturing the citizen. If the whole idea was to put people off smoking, one must conclude this policy is not working. According to the law of demand, we should have expected less people smoking as excise on tobacco increases year after year, but this is not what the charts show. In 2014, for instance, the UK Tax and Revenues Office was able to excise £12.3 billion on tobacco revenues, and it is a fact this trend has been increasing since 1990. Now, here is the thing. A tin of Royal Yacth, which is nothing but a staple, will set you back in the US some $10 as on average (I know this could be cheaper, but I will leave it at that) whereas in the UK the same tin will cost £12.80 (that is, 20 USD). So you want to know why I am a free market anarchist? Because I bloody hate state government. Sometimes I wish we could have friendlier laws like you all have in the US. You guys started a revolution against England when tax was at 3%. Now in the UK we pay 20% on VAT + other excises and duty tax (not only on tobacco) and everyone seems to believe this is perfectly fine. Well, I for one believe this is totally ridiculous and I think it is about time someone will put a stop to this.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I have never broken the law in my life, and when I avoid paying for any tax, I do it legally. Most of the tax code in the UK is intended to show how to avoid paying for unnecessary tax; so I can't understand why most people do still prefer paying for it (this is going over my head big time). Having said that, to excise tax from non-consenting adults is theft.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I have a hard time believing no one has never broken the law. Technically 1 mile over the speed limit is against the law. Now a more correct statement would be you have never broken the law intentionally. This I believe is possible. You would be amazed of the laws that exist that you do not know about. Oh and law states that just because you do not know it us against the law does not mean you can not be punished for it.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
That is a different issue mate. I am 46 years old of age and I have no criminal records at all (not even a ticket). All taxes I cannot avoid, are paid for, and the ones the law gives me some room to avoid, I shall keep avoiding them. For instance, as I live in the UK I buy all my tobacco in Switzerland, which is a tax haven, so I don't pay for any custom duty tax. A tin of Night Cap, for example, will set me back some £8. This is still a higher price than in the US market, but it makes quite a difference when the same tin will cost £12.80 in the shop.
Also, when I buy in the US market I use third parties to buy and arrange my parcels in a way I won't have to pay for any tax (whatever the item might be). I know I am using loopholes, but still legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.