PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
"Well, let's hope not. That "gravy train," (please, tell me where I can hop aboard that one?), is what helps all of the businesses here (who use the Internet for a portion or all of their sales), pay for their advertising here on pipesmagazine.com. I'd sure hate to lose my job and this great forum. And no sir, it would not be good for the B&M's either for what I thought would be obvious reasons. In case you have not heard, kania, the tobacco Nazi's are after all of us.
First of all I want to say thank you to everybody that through shit my way. It's quite alright I have thick skin and can take it. By saying gravy train here's what I meant. Let's take FVF for instance, a lot of us enjoy that blend right? Well right now it's selling for 9.19 on P&C, in my state it goes from 19 to 20 dollars a tin and we don't have the option of ordering it online as it's not permitted in my state. Sure some people do it but I'm not risking it myself. Now after doing the math I figured most of you save 10.00 compared to what I pay for it. So yeah, I consider that a gravy train and at the same time I didn't mean that as a slight. Considering B&M's, if the gov. mandates that tobacco can only be sold face to face how can that not be a boom to B&M's. If I have to explain that then somebody just doesn't understand how business works. As far as advertising goes Kevin could and maybe even should do what Facebook and Twitter does it's quite effective.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
By saying gravy train here's what I meant. Let's take FVF for instance, a lot of us enjoy that blend right? Well right now it's selling for 9.19 on P&C, in my state it goes from 19 to 20 dollars a tin and we don't have the option of ordering it online as it's not permitted in my state. Sure some people do it but I'm not risking it myself. Now after doing the math I figured most of you save 10.00 compared to what I pay for it. So yeah, I consider that a gravy train and at the same time I didn't mean that as a slight.
I understand what you meant...but "gravy train" probably wasn't the best choice for a descriptor. In fact, it really means just the opposite of this situation.
Gravy train is typically understood to mean a financial gain/advantage of some type that is not justified by what would normally be considered standard business/market practices without any unwarranted interventions.
In this case, the example of $9.19 for FVF is only what the normal, reasonable price would/should be.
Perhaps a better way of putting it would be that soon we will all be on the shit train.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Oh hells bells... take whatever you want, I don't even care anymore, just send me my damn tobacco......and GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :D

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Mason jars of tobacco???
I was in Hyannis, Massachusetts early this month, in the “Puff the Magic” smoke shop, picking up a bit of this’n’that, including a tin of ten cigarillo type cigars for $25.08 .

My total bill, pre tax, was 32.98. Sales tax plus a stipulated “cigar tax” brought my total up to $40.05! It might be correct, but it doesn’t sound Right!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Thanks, Jack & JP

I checked the list of OTP tax rates and see that they have a 40% tax in Massachusetts on the wholesale prices of such products.

Here in Florida it’s 85%!!!

That really surprised me because I’ve always considered Florida to be a tax friendly state!

But cigarettes here are still considerably cheaper than in Massachusetts, so go figure,

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I think it would be reasonable for states with these excise taxes to enact an exemption for senior citizens, whose consumption of tobacco long predates any of these taxes.

Whether we’re “addicted” as some claim or just enjoy a good smoke is irrelevant when it comes to being penalized for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.