PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I know, that’s not likely to happen unless the tobacco is free or you grow your own. I’ve picked up a pound or two another way though, going to the pipe shop and picking up some of the empty cigar boxes that used cured tobacco leaves as packing material. Crumble some up into my pipe and I have a tolerable smoke, tax free. More tolerable than exorbitant taxes any way! :mrgreen:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I understand the frustration with taxes but are you really in this for a "tolerable smoke"?

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
You can buy Orlik golden sliced in 250g jars tax-free all over European airports. That's my main source of this tobacco, it is a fine simple everyday smoke.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pipe tobacco is the cheapest smoking option you have aside from perhaps growing it on your own. I question that if you value your own time. Purchased tobacco ends up costing around 50 cents per bowl give or take. By the time I spent money on seeds, gardening materials and equipment, tobacco prep tools and all the other stuff it would take to turn my home grown tobacco into a quality smoking alternative, I can't imagine that would work out to a very good ROI. And then when I factored in the cost value of my time, it would be absurd.
I think growing and trying to blend my own would be an interesting thing to do as a hobby. When I retire, it is possible I will give it a whirl. I've had the pleasure of tasting several of Cosmic's blends as well as Ozzie/Ozark Wizard from another board. They are very, very good. I wish I had more time to pursue such a hobby. But I have no illusions that it would be done as a cost savings.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
No, but I did enjoy it and I haven’t tried it side by side with the various blends that I have. I’ve already got enough tobacco to last my lifetime, so buying tobacco and paying taxes aren’t something that I’m worried about anyway. I’m just curious to see if anyone had any feedback.

I’m guessing that it would be considered ‘cigar tobacco’ as opposed to ‘pipe tobacco’.

Mar 1, 2014
American Bulk Tobacco is still so close to being tax free if I were living in the U.S. I’d be buying one ton shipments straight from C&D and have a pipe going 24/7 for the rest of my life.

I guess that speaks to the effectiveness of high tax rates in enforcing moderation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
daniel7, I am so glad to hear that some airport tax-free shops have pipe tobacco! The ones I've visited either don't have it, or I missed it. A lot of my travel was done when I wasn't smoking my pipes. I'll be sure to look for that on any future trips. Orlik would be a good find tax-free.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
2 years ago Payless Cigars and Pipes had OGS for $3 something a tin one day. I grabbed 20 thinking maybe it was a glitch. It quickly sold out and I received my order. A week later it popped back up at that price again and I went to town. Haven’t seen it that low since.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
@MSO/Tom, I travel only in Europe, mostly to the northern part; Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and sometimes to Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Czechia, Slovenia, Italy. I could buy pipe tobacco at every airport I have been travelling through so far. This Summer I will go to Hungary and I have already checked Budapest airport's tobacco offers and MacBaren Scottish mixture, Danish Black Vanilla, W.Ø. Larsen, Danske Club black and Orlik (up to 250g) are available there as well - Orlik is the most interesting for me, I don't really like the others, but at least they have a selection of pipe tobacco. In Austria and Germany you can find the same products at the airports.

Here, in Iceland we have tax-free shop in both directions, so doesn't matter if I arrive or leave home, I can buy tax-free tobacco here as well. It sounds great, but here we have only Special Dublin, Skandinavik and Half & Half... So I always buy tobacco abroad and booze here, nothing can beat Icelandic beer. :D

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
If you are living in the US, pipe tobacco is almost free compared to the rest of the world.
tenor.gif

Thanks Hoos! Yeh, growing is a whole other time-consuming hobby. I just started cleaning out the flue kiln this week. I estimated that after five years, I am averaging about $10 a pound, not including labor. With labor, ha ha. It's probably closer to $100 a pound. But, maybe in ten more years the average would be more like $50 a pound, ha ha. It's a labor of love.
I almost didn't come back to this thread after I had read the OP, ha ha. I was thinking that this was going to evolve into one of those "shake the extra loose-leaf tobacco out of the bottom of old packs of cigarette" threads. :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If you are living in the US, pipe tobacco is almost free compared to the rest of the world.
Don't worry, we're on the same loathsome path as everyone else...just a little behind.
It's a big idea...a return to old world feudalism a new world order.
Just need to get rid of that pesky middle class first.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
My sister is the one who has my sympathies. She’s been smoking ciggies since she was 16 (over 60 years) and now they’re over $100 a carton in Massachusetts!

I’ve suggested to her that she try a pipe and save some serious cash! If she’s self conscious about it, she can keep a pack in her purse, keep it at home and still save a lot of money!

I think that being able to try some of the wonderful blends that are available would be kind of an adventure for her!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Lately it’s been Three Nuns, 1849, Crumble Kake, Dunhill Ready Rubbed and Rocky Patel Prohibition, Pure & Simple. No ciggies, thank you!

Escudo sounds like something I’d like to try...

Status
Not open for further replies.