PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I have been back into pipe smoking for only a few months, and have found a few blends that I really enjoy - Black House, Scottish Woods, 965, London mixture, Across the Pond, Plum Pudding. Occasionally, a lingering mud of Latakia sticks in my craw, and I find myself wishing for something moderately spicy and slightly sweet without the Latakia hangover.

The myriad choices are overwhelming. Any recommendations?

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'd say SG Squadron leader would fit the bill, if you want something sweeter then Mississippi River might be a good choice.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
McClelland Tudor Castle has a good full body spice to it with some good orientals blended with Virginia and perique. Maybe also GLP sixpence...that has some Kentucky in it which livens up the smoke.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
If you wanted something that still had Latakia in it, but not to an extreme extent, GLP Piccadilly is really good, and won't leave you with Latakia mud afterwards. That's my favorite light English at the moment.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yes....C&D Buffalo Soldier, Bridge Mixture, and GLP Piccadilly. These are Light on the Latakia. Buffalo Soldier and Piccadilly are Virginia based spiced with perique and Latakia. C&D Bridge Mixture may be the finest offering from C&D, a Craig Tarlar masterpiece, its sweet at times and spicy in pockets from perique and orientals. Red cavendish and dark fired with Virginias, almost a shag cut easy to pack and complex as hell. The Latakia in all these blends play a small role, adding depth to these blends and not in the starring role at all.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Presbyterian is a fine smoke. Apparently no latika in it but a whisper nonetheless.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
John Cotton's #s 1&2, and C&D Tuskegee Airman. No "Lat hangover" or "mudmouth" from either one of those. (I think I might change my screen name to Mudmouth. Has a nice ring to it...)

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
peterstokkebye balkan supreme and C&D Engine 99 are great blends.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
HE Latakia Flake

In spite of the name, smooth creamy seamless smoke.

Check out TR and read some reviews

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture, Squadron leader, Dunhill BB1938 and from the H&H Marquee series Fusiliers Ration and White Knight

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Dunhill EMP, SPC Mississippi River, John Cotton's #1 and 2, El Ricon de la Pipa #1, I wouldn't recommend PS balkan supreme, it has a good amount of lat. Engine 99 also is supposed to have a good lat presence so I don't think that's what your after according to the OP. You should also explore the Mcclellend grand oriental line.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Balkans are my favorites too, but for a change up I really enjoy a bowl of Peter Stokkebye Turkish. You get the orientals but with a dash of virginias. No latakia.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Mcclelland - Drama Reserve

Mcclelland - Classic Samsun
Give a shot to either of those, they are fairly similar so you don't have to buy both.

They are quite tasty, basically a Balkan mixtures minus the latakia.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Stupid tablet, and my phone for that matter, both like to rewrite everything.

I catch most it it.

Anyway, Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. Not a heavy Latakia blend in spite of the name.

Check out reviews on TR.

In my top three. You might like it.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
jackswilling
It's on my list, I was quite surprised to hear there is a Latakia Flake I have not heard of.
P.S. I do believe the Auto-Correct function can be turned off permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.