PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
If you like Dunhill's London Mixture (my favorite of the Dunhill blends that I have tried), try GLP's Westminster. It is very similar, but a bit gamier I think. I second the suggestion for Presbyterian. Also consider GLP's Maltese Falcon and C&D's Star of the East. But they do have a nice Latakia vibe, but not too much. This thread is becoming the Hall of Fame for fine English blends.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
H&H Magnum Opus

McClelland Yenidje Highlander

McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian

Also some of the Frog Mortons.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
In addition to the previous recommendations of those amazing McClelland Grand Oriental blends (Drama Reserve, Classic Samsun, etc), go to LJ Peretti's website and order up some Tashkent and Oriental No.40. And call Pipeworks & Wilke and get some glorious No.10 before it's gone forever. Another world-class option is Robert McConnell's Original Oriental.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Various good burley blends have no Latakia, and Cornell & Diehl is a leader in blending burley, so look at their offerings. Many Virginia blends don't have Latakia, but usually Perique or just a variety of Virginia leaf, and McClellands is a prime source to look at those, though there are many other good sources as well. You just have to browse around in the online tobacco pages at length and see what looks good. Probably buy samples in the smallest quantities to see what you like, and save the ones you don't like (in sealed canning jars) to see if your taste has changed. No one can sample tobacco for you, so your own research is your main information.
For starters, aromatic blends have non-tobacco flavorings (vanilla, rum, whiskey, citrus, etc. etc.), and non-aromatic don't.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
Thanks, mso489. I have been doing precisely as you suggest, and have several new entries on my to-try list: John Cotton's 1&2, McClelland Oriental #6 and McClelland Tudor Castle. I had a taste of Bailey's Front Porch this afternoon and enjoyed it, but it isn't what I'm searching for.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
Not entirely off topic, I've scratched McClelland Scottish Woods from my rotation. I like it very much, but it is nearly identical in taste to H&H Black House which I like even more, and a bit more expensive. It also has a bit of a sour, vinegary note on opening the tin which doesn't follow into the lit bowl, but that I find a bit off-putting nonetheless. It is slightly rougher in cut than Black House, which may or may not be an advantage.

My order of Oriental #6 should arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping that it is the alternative I've been hunting. If not, contributors to this thread have offered many other possibilities, for which I am appreciative.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
My thanks to all who responded to my initial query. Your suggestions introduced me to the wonderful world of VaPers. Escudo has made it's way to the top of my rotation, and several other choices have been added as well - McClelland Oriental #6, G.L.Pease Blackpoint and SPC Mississippi River.

Cheers.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Tashkent and Squadron Leader are ones you should definitely look up as previous posters mentioned.

Good for you, also.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Exotique by Smokers Haven is, in my eyes, is the best there is. I've yet to taste better. Everything about it is perfect.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
There are 2 by Pipeworks & Wilke you might want to try but you'll need to hurry because Carole Burns is about to retire from the tobacco blending part of hr business
GOTHAM COURT

A spicy aroma along with a subtle Oriental flavor. Orientals, other than Latakia, in a rich Virginia base along with two Cavendish tobaccos make up this special blend. Lightly aromatic
WILKE No. 10

An exotic range of orientals are blended in perfect harmony with lemon Virginia and Latakia. A mild to medium English blend that can be smoked all day.
Here is the link to her site
http://vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

Status
Not open for further replies.