PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
You'll get it in time. It just takes practice. Everything will fall into place.
I like drinking something sweet when I'm smoking a pipe. It makes that tobacco taste so much better to me.
Try some sweet tea or maybe a diet cola or a cup of coffee.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mmmmmmm... burning leaves. Love that smell.
Dry your tobacco down to where it’s almost crumbly.

When you light the pipe, try to keep the flame just above the tobacco. Don’t torch it.

Draw slowly. Sip. You want to keep the combustion temp low.

Try different tobacco blends. Avoid goopy, flavored blends.

Continue to come back here for help and advice.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Philo, you're jes' messeded up, you know that, right? }:)
OP, what John (jpm) & others've said is truer than you might think. Some of the best tasting stuff will have a room note that's not the most pleasant, & vice versa. Every blend is different. Keep your pipes clean & dry using cleaners; if not allowed to dry they can get rancid & gurgly on you.
Lastly as woods said, keep your puffing slow. Slower than that. Even slower. The faster you puff the more moisture is going to condense & then turn to steam. That's where tongue burn will come from, so the more you can avoid it, the better. :)
Bill

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
"eastwood original blend pipe tobacco"
I'm curious about the blend. I've never heard of it. Is it a house blend from a local store? Can't seem to find anything on it searching the webs.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This is a Clint Eastwood blend. Also sold as "Get Off My Lawn", it is blend of Virginia, Latakia, Orientals and Grass Clippings.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm curious about the blend. I've never heard of it. Is it a house blend from a local store? Can't seem to find anything on it searching the webs.

It appears to be a Russian blend, only available over there.
Regardless, yes, it will take time for the tobacco to taste as the tin note. It's doable, but it takes some time.

Mar 1, 2014
I usually like to say it takes two or three weeks for your tastebuds to acclimatize to tasting smoke (similar to tasting spicy food), but in this case with such an unknown blend maybe it would be best to recommend getting another blend for variety.

In general it will help to have several types of tobacco so that you’re not just tasting the same thing every time. A good rotation would just be going between Latakia and Virginia blends.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
It appears to be a Russian blend
I looked it up in Russian because I've only heard of one operating pipe-tobacco producer in Russia (Pogarskaya). Looks like Eastwood is marketed in Russia as pipe tobacco, but produced as RYO by Twist N.V. in Belgium. https://twist-tobacco.be/en/eastwood# Maybe that's where all the Semois goes? It goes for 5 bucks/pouch in Moscow (vs. 15 for a tin of Peterson), and might be the only game in town in some other cities. Maybe OP can tell us more? Most guys I know over there get all their pipe tobacco from forum and pipe club buddies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The one piece of advice I will give you is to make sure you smoke different varieties of tobacco. It may be that pipe smoking is not to your taste, or it might just be that the particular tobacco you are smoking is not to your particular taste. I'd be bummed if you ended up missing out on a hobby you may have enjoyed because you got a tobacco blend that didn't work for you. Check out some threads and articles on great tobaccos for beginners, and see if you can find some where you're at (or can order online).
Also, check out tobaccoreviews.com You can learn about different tobaccos, and the thoughts of more experienced pipe smokers may help you in terms of figuring out the flavors you might encounter. It's a great resource.
Good luck!

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
alexashe, give this a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXZYxWwReOc
Also, I do something that a member here told me is called "the French method", which is to intentionally smell the smoke after I exhale it from my mouth.
In short, tobacco tastes like burnt leaves because that is what it is. The key to enjoying it is all in the smell IMO.
As for the burnt ashtray smell of the pipe. I clean my pipes after every smoke, and I use a little bit of rubbing alcohol. Then I let them dry out for at least a day. (You don't want to taste the rubbing alcohol either.) It will still smell burnt, but I find myself liking the burnt smell of a (cleaned) used pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.