PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
As the tobacco "pluffs up" whilst smoking, I give it a tamp, but I don't press down. I let the weight of the tamper do that. In this way, the ember is kept in good contact with the tobacco in the bottom of the bowl, but I'm not mashing ashes into the tobacco.
I also use this tamper/pipe tool, and it has a nice heft to it:
870380959_532.jpg

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks... Never really thought about it, I guess. It's flat in my pocket, so it never looks uncouth, and it has a nice feel to it. I never use the reamer; only the scraper and the tamper, but I like it. I've had it forever.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Eureka! I've been using a variety of readily available gadgets to tamp with, including half a clothespin, a golf tee, and an eyeglass size screwdriver....all very light...then it hit me...there's gotta be something in my tool box that will be even better. I think I've got it....it's a center punch. It's about perfect. Nice heft, a useful pointed end to open the odd mis packed bowl of flake, and ergonomic knurled grips.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Oh darn...here I am using this 'new' tamper and I realize I've misstated what it is...it's a counter sink for nails, not a center punch....a big difference.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
I'm going to have to go make myself a tamper now. Might just find an extra-large nail at the hardware store and cut it off to the right length to begin with.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I recently started using a "cut nail" for concrete, as a tamper. I just use the head to lightly tamp the tobacco around the interior sides of the bowl, which seems to work pretty well for me.

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
Just all kinds of Tampers like pipes have their own character but the function is simple if and when applied!

Status
Not open for further replies.