Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2018
Hi all, It's been...well a while since I've introduced myself in this forum. Not much after that only due to the fact that 24 hours in a day aren't enough for me to do the things I enjoy, such as participate in this great forum.
I come to you however in need. (Funny how that works I suppose)
I am trying to find any information at all on a recently acquired tamper. It has a great feel and works like a charm. The more I use it, the more it intrigues me. I've finally got the time and courage to ask the only place I could think of with an abundance of resources and information that may help me solve my inquiry.
Any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the photos.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have no idea what it is and looks dangerous! You should send it to me for further inspection... indefinitely! Just kidding. I also have to say it does look like a briar. A friend of mine has one similar to it with a 44 magnum casing on the business end.

Aug 8, 2018
Thanks for the responses. Yes it is briar and brass...3D Birdseye even! I'll keep searching and hope someone may have a hint in the future as to it's creator.
milehighpiper: It's in the mail on it's way to you, I can't be trusted with dangerous things.
crashthegrey: It definitely has a great feel...a neat piece to stare into/at while in deep contemplation during a bowl. It appears to have a double 'R' and I'm convinced it isn't an erroneous strike simply due to it's quality. -I have been to known to be incorrect...more times than I'd like to admit.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Does the metal dot insert look like silver? If so probably made by Pipe Tampers by Rainer. Not much info on him other than an old google listing. But there are a bunch of pictures on Pinterest from'18 that may give some leads. Good luck!

Aug 8, 2018
For a minute I thought this mini-adventure was over (thankfully). The dot after careful inspection and minor needle precision cleaning turned out to be the same brass as the tamper base. -Definitely a one piece, piece of brass defying logic. I must say I am intrigued with this Rainer name...could be either an early masterpiece, a late last ditch effort, or a complete knock-off. It appears as a majority of his tampers have a dissimilar band of either material or color to them. Mine is a solid piece. The journey does not end however, all and any suggestions (besides the ones telling me where to keep the tamper) are welcome.

Aug 8, 2018
jpmcwjr: This is the only 'fancy' tamper I have ever owned. All of my tampers are labeled 'Made In Czechoslovakia' and are capable of being my ultimate survival tool. I'm not too fussy about my tampers as long as they do the job...my latest acquisition however had me intrigued. It's best you not get started on fancy tampers -unless they do not say 'Made In Czechoslovakia'.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Love beautiful tampers but have a thing for pipe nails (and Czech tools, and folding stainless steel pipe tools) for their simplicity and functionality. Pipe nails don't get lost. They follow you home. They live in your pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.