PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Wish I had kept all my Swatch watches, the bands etc.
I have a Tag Heure but only wear it on an evening out.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Just like in pipes there exists a watch snobbery. I would suggest a good Seiko 5 for an everyday watch. They are automatic which is a plus in book.
Intended to read with as much snobbery and arrogance as possible:

Quartz watches = Cobs

Automatic watches = Briar

Manual watches = Meerschaum
It’s not often you see someone with a manual watch, but it’s pretty much always neat.

Reactions: timelord

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Thanks ssjones!
Actually, it was a gift from my brother. Out of the blue. He thought I needed a watch. So, it was a nice surprise!

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I have worn the same Rolex Oyster Datejust for over 40 years. It is a very reliable watch, It has been in every environment possible. I have had it cleaned 3 times in 40 years. It is now worth many times what I paid for it. When my son graduated college I bought a Rolex, my grandson will graduate from West Point and I guess a Rolex is in the cards for him. In my military mind Rolex is the best watch ever.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some magnificent watches out there, suitable family heirlooms and space technology chronometers. Now for a note from Budget Boy (me). I am wearing an extremely dependable Swiss made Wenger that I've had for maybe five years that keeps perfect time and looks brand new. I think it was sixty bucks online. Recommended. No Rolex or even Apple, but just right for me. I like full Arabic numbering for those time-checks at a wakeful 3 a.m. I don't want bells and whistles. I like a fairly large face. I don't use digital, though I have several other watches. This is an extra basic approach, but it suits me. I wear one of my watches all the time, as noted even all night. Well, I do take it off when I shower. When I want to go as avant guard as I get, I wear a numberless watch from the Modern Museum of Art, entirely black face, one red line at the top for the twelve.

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
Thermo-compensated quartz are cool. Being able to adjust the DST hour without stopping the time? Priceless. Going from June 30 to July 1 automatically? Gravy. Plus or minus 5 spy (seconds per year)? Phenomenal!

Citizen CTQ57-0955 Chronomaster. AKA The Citizen.

6N9puxk.jpg

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
There’s something about having a reliable wristwatch you wear everyday for years that is satisfying in a way that’s hard to explain. Price of the watch doesn’t factor into it for me, fortunately.

A few years back I had to replace a Seiko I’d worn for decades when it finally died. Another took its place, except on occasional Fridays. Then I wear an old Casio calculator watch, which is as close to a smart watch as I’m likely to get any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bengel

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Guess I'll finally shew away mine:

Unfortunately, I knocked it off the bathroom's sink's counter and the drop to the floor knocked the chronograph's seconds hand out of alignment by two seconds. I have to send it in to Toronto's dealer and the repair is more than I can afford at the time. Now every time I check the time I feel bitter. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always wear a watch but nothing up-market. A durable Wenger Swiss is my daily wear, a nice Seiko for dress, a Museum of Modern Art black face watch with red hands and no numbers for jive, and a few others. Real wristwatch lovers may be interested in today's (10/27/19) NYTimes special advertising supplement of all high end watches like Piguet, Rolex, Bvlgari, Cartier, etc. Or if you don't have that in print, check out the link www.watchyourtime.com. I guess the Apple watch is somewhat the current item for young folks who wear watches, though I think most track time on their phones if at all. I'm highly dependent on blocking out my day's activities using my watch, aways have been, even more so in retirement when time can feel slippery. I don't carry a cell phone, so that wouldn't help. I savor the looks of high-end watches but would also experience wearing them as a burden, in terms of damage or loss. Heirloom watches tend to have been designed for wool suit vest pockets and watch chains with fobs and wouldn't find a place in current clothing, unless one works where three-piece suits are worn. So much for watches as family legacies. I like watches with a complete dial of analog numbers. Since I wear a watch to bed ... yeah, eccentric ... I don't want to have to think about reading it at 3 a.m. I want it to tell me the damn time.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I actually sleep with my watch. I only take it off when taking a shower, when baking, or when I need to work on the Wacom tablet (the watch scrated it once: I wear the watch on my right wrist and I'm a rightie).

Mar 1, 2014
For a little while I had some Alpha brand Chinese mechanicals.
Of course the movement only lasts about six months before the winding wheel falls off, or it fills with water, but I will say that I LOVE sleeping with a mechanical watch beside my head. Listening to the escapement is so soothing.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have to say, watches are something I can see myself getting into. Luckily, I have some sort of financial restraint! I started wearing a watch regularly a few months ago, and I can't go back.

I picked up this Timex as an everyday watch. I love it. It was on sale so I couldn't say no. I'd love to have a nicer watch for special occasions someday, but this will certainly do for now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Timex has been coming out with some great looking, vintage vibe watches lately, great choice!

I have to say, watches are something I can see myself getting into. Luckily, I have some sort of financial restraint! I started wearing a watch regularly a few months ago, and I can't go back.

I picked up this Timex as an everyday watch. I love it. It was on sale so I couldn't say no. I'd love to have a nicer watch for special occasions someday, but this will certainly do for now.

View attachment 6380

I've been enjoying this Citizens for almost a year now for my work watch. I love my Marlins most, but this one just takes the comfort and reliability prize. It is toe to toe in staying to the second with my iPhone clock.

I just replaced the band last week, and I was disappointed when it came and found that it was several shades darker that the previous band, and it was the identical item number as the previous band. Eh, a small nuisance. Leather bands tend to get smelly at about the six month point for me. But, I really like the way it looks and wears.

Status
Not open for further replies.