PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Yesterday was a long, rough day. I had to pick up a wheel loader from an auction yard in Humble, TX and then a Peterbilt chassis in Houston.
Auction yards are never much fun. They aren't willing to help, you have to walk all over the place to find the machine you need to load, hope it actually starts, and then load it yourself.
You then have to walk over to the office to fill out the release forms. The office is always as far away from the loading area as they can get it.
I did all of this and then went into Houston. This place was even worse, but in different ways. With the exception of one youg guy there, nobody spoke English and my Spanish really stinks. I really need to buy the Rosetta Stone program.
It turned out that the chassis I needed to pick up wasn't even there. After several phones calls I learned it was at a different location and someone would be bringing it over. That took several hours. I wasn't a happy camper.
The chassis turned out to be about six feet longer than we were told. I didn't have enough room left behind the wheel loader for it. I unchained the loader and had to get it's front end up on the top deck to make enough room.
It's 26" between the lower deck and the top deck. I had to set the bucket on the front deck and then operate it down to lift the front wheels high enough to line up with the top deck and then drive forward. This is very dangerous because you have no steering with the front wheels hanging in the air.
Twice the thing tried to slide to the right and off the deck and I had to back up and reset. Third time's the charm and I got the front wheels onto the deck more or less straight.
We then had to use a lull to lift the front end of the truck chassis high enough for me to back the trailer under it and get it's front wheels on the trailer. A forklift was then used to lift the back end and push the chassis the rest of the way on. This is all also extremely unsafe and the chance of an accident is very high. We managed it though.
By the time it was all said and done my trailer was loaded from the front to the back with two feet of the chassis hanging over the back. Legally I can have three feet of overhang so it was ok.
I was supposed to also pick up a motorcycle over in San Antonio, but due to the chassis being longer than it was supposed to be there simply wasn't any place to put it. Dispatch decided to just pass on the bike and someone else would have to get it to Wisconsin.
At this point it was evening rush hour in Houston. I fought my way out of the city and made it about an hour up the road before calling it quits for the day. I was exhausted and my back was killing me from all of the climbing, lugging, and lifting I had done that day. The back twinges kept me from sleeping as well as I needed, but I did get some sleep just the same.
I was feeling draggy this morning but needed to at least knock out a few hundred miles so I can make it to Northern Wisconsin on Monday. I ran through Texas and as far as Hope, Arkansas. That leaves me with only 1,000 miles to cover over the weekend, which is easily done so I called it a day.
I decided to get a room, do some laundry (which is now in the dryer), and basically just get some rest for the remainder of the day. There is a BBQ place close to the motel and I'll probably go check it out after the laundry is finished.
Oh, and of course the motel has a bar so I'll likely check it out this evening. Nothing like a bit of adult beverage to relax the muscles and allow for sleep.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
So you're a trucker? I've always wanted to drive a big Mack truck. I love driving, as I do it whenever I'm bored, need to think, have some time to myself and just driving. I always wondered how difficult it would actually be for me to do. I know it must be hard some times being away from family and friends, but you must get a chance to see lots of cool stuff and meet different people.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Mason, it's good to know you made it in and out of Houston without too many problems. I have heard how bad traffic can be there. I for one would have been completely worn out after what you went through getting that trailer loaded. Get some rest, and I hope you have a safe trip back into Wisconsin.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Traffic ain't too bad here in Houston. :mrgreen: I only sit in it for about an hour each day. Given I only travel 15 miles to work. For me this is way better then my last job. My last job I traveled 60 miles right through the middle of Houston. Some days would take me almost 2 hours to get home. :crazy:
Mason

Next time you are this way would be nice to meet up for lunch or something. I live and work on the west side of Houston right on I-10. If you would have went to San Antonio you would have passed right by me.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Thanks, guys.
eaglerico: I'll keep that in mind.
jship; I get over that way a few times a year, just depending on the freight. We have a guy who lives in that area and he often gets that freight so he can get home.
Philip; I have a couple of cameras and use them when I can. In the heat of battle a camera is usually the last thing I think of.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Every time Mason posts, I gain a new respect for long-haul truckers! Un freakin' believable. I at one time thought that job would be cool, but I'm a better getaway driver. I could never hang as a trucker.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I hope you rest well tonight, Mason. Definitely deserve that pipe and rest.
It amazes me what y'all go through out there on the road, but like Baron stated, I'm better suited for a faster car driving experience, lol.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Mason, you ever stop at the Horizon Travel Stop in Prescott? Exit 46

That was my stop in Arkansas for the longest time. Buy 100 gallons of fuel and get a free dinner. Pretty good greasy spoon grill, not a full menu but plenty of down home heart clogging stuff. Fried Chicken, Ribs, Pork Chops, Chicken Fried Steak.

Last I was there they were talking about selling the place, havent been there in almost a year now.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Mason, I very much enjoy these tales of the road.
Please share them whenever the mood takes you.
In fact, I suggest you tag them "Tales of the Road" or somesuch. I see quite a collection building up.

Status
Not open for further replies.