PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
After trying, and being wonderfully surprised by how much I enjoyed Daughters & Ryan's Two-Timer - a very simple and straight-ahead, twice-toasted Burley mixture - at last Wednesday night's weekly smoker, I just put in an order for their full line of tinned tabaks - sans any "light" variations of the regular-strength versions of a specific mixture they offer.
So, come this Wednesday and my mailman's knock upon my door, my D&R supply will jump from 1 tin to 21 tins.
I thank (or blame) our fellow good-member NewBroom for putting the bug in my ear about looking into other D&R offerings; which caused me to recall how surprised I was by D&R's Two-Timer when I smoked it last Wednesday night passed, as I perused all the descriptions of the Daughters & Ryan offerings.
This, along with the fact that most of the D&R tins only run in the $5-6 range... and possibly, I was operating under an accidental overdose of C&D's Black Frigate at the time I decided to pull the trigger on 20 un-sampled tabaks. - Sherm Natmen

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I have to keep forcing myself NOT to buy anymore tobacco. Got a pound and a half of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake on Wednesday. That night, put a 17 ounce bag of Rattray's Marlin Flake in the "shopping cart" and stared at it for about 30 minutes before "cooler heads prevailed" and I deleted it and quickly turned off my computer.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I was operating under an accidental overdose of C&D's Black Frigate at the time
This should read: I was acting under withdrawal symptoms from C&D's Black Frigate at the time. There is no such thing as too much Black Frigate and lord knows it sure wasn't accidental.

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
My TAD was out of control last night but I could not pass up the blends I was able to acquire.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I could be wrong since it's somewhat of an experiment, but I too was recently introduced Two-Timer, and I've had it around for two or three months (I think it's been) and so help me, I do believe it has improved in just that time, the toasty-ness has mellowed, the two burley's have melded, and the blend has sweetened. Thanks to jiminks and Cosmic for their recommendations.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Ive never tried D&R Tobaccos. They used to be a roll your own tobacco company and I guess I’ve just never got passed that. I have no need to try any new blends as I’ve already tried plenty and now I’m just settling into the blends I’ve come to love. I have heard great things about the company and I know now they are a legitimate pipe tobacco company, one of the rare breeds to actually switch over into the pipe tobacco industry so I applaud him for that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you like Va/Pers you could do much worse than any of the D&R Rimboché blends, not to mention Mark's involvement with the very popular RO Acadian and RO Perique tobaccos. VIP and the Raccoon series are also worth a look. Also, D&R's Blender's Bench offerings provide access to blending tobaccos that you're not going to find through the usual online sources, like 10 year barrel aged Perique, ten year aged Yenidge and other components that are used in commercial blends but not usually made available to the public. Blenders Bench you find at the pipe shows that Mark attends. Mark is the major player in supplying Periques through his company, L.A. Poche. And he also supplies other high grade tobaccos to the trade, some of which he also uses in his D&R blends. I've been fortunate to pick up some fantastic Orientals and Periques from Mark over the years.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm rank by comparison....
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm a rank amateur by comparison. :worship:
I don't even know where that came from. It started with ten pounds of Balkan Supreme that turned into twenty. P&C had that Lane appreciation sale and I bought five pounds of LBF and LTF. Then all of the Gawith drops happened and Tobacco Pipes had that 10% off all tobacco sale during a Gawith drop, then Watch City got the 250g boxes of 1792. I think I snapped.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've smoked a bunch of D&R's blends mostly out of bags.

It took me just a bit to overcome my prejudice for inexpensive bagged and typically shag cut tobacco, but this line is exceptional from top to bottom, although, I really haven't exposed myself to their top stuff even yet.
I've been smoking D&R blends almost exclusively for a couple of years.

Over that time I've experimented some with mixing some of their blends and have stumbled on a mix that I have been smoking now for a few weeks or is it months?

I use TwoTimer ( toasted burley ) 3 Sails ( straight VA's ) and Picayune ( a strong and flavorful perique blend ).

Try it. You'll like it. Very cob friendly, and good in any pipe.
D&R blends are shipped very dry, intentionally. I don't bother to re-hydrate. JimInks likes to, from what I've read of his reviews of many of these offerings.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All of my insanity aside Sherm, D&R's Three Sails is a really good and inexpensive Virginia blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.