PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
Zero, I would imagine. :puffpipe:
Just to be more specific as to why I didn't like it, I found the HH Vintage Syrian to have a heavy ammonia flavor and aroma, either from, or in addition, to the DFK which I don't really like to begin with.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
and you and I don't mean that much more to Per, I suspect ..
Before you go making pronouncements about Per Jensen, you should make an effort to meet the man in person.

He was at the Chicago show last year. I would beg to differ with your baseless assumptions.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have read a lot of posts from people on this thread that have zero debating skills.
My palate is likely not refined enough to determine if there is Syrian Lat left in MacBeren's HH Syrian, so I won't weigh in other than to say it would be sad.
Maybe a letter campaign to the company will get them to make a statement?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
LoL Not that I could taste the difference but I've always assumed every Syrian mixture has been cut since it became hard to get. If you asked a rep or blender you may or may not get a straight answer. It wouldn't be the first time in the pipe world a guy told a little fib. 8O

perjensen

Lurker
Jul 24, 2012
Gentlemen,

The few times I have posted on this forum, was when a problem started to live its own life and getting out of proportions, like the rusty tins I commented on a few years back.
I normally don’t comment on rumours coming from an anonym source, but I will make an exemption in this case. In 2006 I created the HH Vintage Syrian as a single standing tobacco. Since the first making of this blend the recipe has not changed, it is still made after the 2006 recipe with Syrian Latakia.
If you compare an older tin with a new one, the taste of the older will of course be slight different due to age. If a pipe smoker perceives this as the newer tin contains a lesser quality tobacco, I would consider this to be a genuine mistake. The HH Vintage Syrian is created like no other Latakia blend, because it also contains Dark Fired Kentucky. In comparison with more “normal” English blends, you will, as pipe smoker, experience another taste in HH Vintage Syrian as in your favourite English blend. HH Vintage Syrian is not your typical English blend and there are so many other good blends out there which will satisfy your taste for Latakia. HH Vintage Syrian was created to be different.
However, no matter this discussion HH Vintage Syrian will be leaving soon, as our supply of Syrian Latakia is coming to an end. Latest in February or March next year the last of the HH Vintage Syrian will leave Svendborg, Denmark, so the guy who created it will also be the one to put it down. That HH Vintage Syrian is leaving us, I have stated over and over again, and I have never made it a secret that it would disappear and also when.
My suggestion is that you determine if you like HH Vintage Syrian. If you do please enjoy it and take all the pleasure from it as you can. If you determine that is not your taste, let it be, but please do not discuss it to death, in my humble opinion it does not deserve this.
There are other allegations in the forum which I will not comment on. The only thing I will do is to invite all pipe smokers to get to know me at the next available moment. And if you want to discuss the HH tobaccos I will be thrilled because I am the father of the whole line.
Happy smoke

Per Georg Jensen

Mac Baren Tobacco

Reactions: jpmcwjr and 3rdguy

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Oh my.
In addition to have gotten a pound of HH Vintage Syrian (from Iwan Ries last year, along with poundage of a couple other HHs), I just acquired a last of its kind Per Georg Jensen pipe from Al Pascia in Milan IT. I chose the straight-up shape, 9mm, for its simplicity and grain.

http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Georg-Jensen-131-i26911.html
Nice to hear from you.

perjensen

Lurker
Jul 24, 2012
@mike. Unfortunately that will not happen because HH Highland Blend has topflavour, and the HH family is without topflavour. But, I have it in mind for the future, just not under the HH logo.
@snowyowl I hope the pipe behaves 

Reactions: jpmcwjr

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Mr. Jensen,
Thank you for weighing in on this topic. I appreciate your candor and am grateful for your dedication to the world of pipe smoking.
The direction that some posts took on this thread were pretty telling of the people writing them.
I look forward to meeting you at a pipe show in the future.
Mike.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Obviously my previous statement about the taste of HH Vintage Syrian was wrong and I offer my apologies to Per Jensen.

perjensen

Lurker
Jul 24, 2012
@prairiedruid No apologies needed. There is no right or wrong here, just what you prefer to smoke. For you it is your taste that matters, not mine or anyone elses :)

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Well, now that I know it has dark fired I'm certainly going to have to try it!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
According to the Federal Dept Of Pipe Tobacco Quality Control And Existance, "Syrian" blended pipe tobacco must contain at least 6.66% Syrian tobacco.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I honestly prefer Cyprian. I know, I am a phillisitein but there is it is. The rarity of anything doesn't necessarily makes it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.