PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
So I have acquired about 8 blends that sort of cover the spectrum. I just added Capstan Blue Original Navy Flake that I believe is a straight Virginia. I found this blend to be exceptionally sweet. The sweetness sort of reminded me of the artificial sweetener flavour of Diet Coke. So is the sweetness in this blend typical of straight Virginia and coming from the leaf itself, or am I tasting added sugars?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I always thought there was a little sugar added. A little citrus was added to the Gold version.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

So is the sweetness in this blend typical of straight Virginia and coming from the leaf itself, or am I tasting added sugars?
I think both. The phrase 'straight Virginia' to me has come to mean, free from any heavy amounts of casing and/or top flavoring. I believe Mac Baren has a casing recipe that goes on just about all their blends, and that's probably meant to ready the tobacco 'so to speak'; moisture, basic flavor profile, etc... I've always felt that Capstan Blue is slightly sweetened, but nowhere close to the Frosted Flakes sweetness of Campaign Dark Flake. Even though, the two of them are both favorites of mine and a pleasure to smoke. I think Astley's 44 and FVF are a couple of straight brown Virginia blends with less added sweetness and a more natural (sweet) tobacco forward flavor.

The phrase 'straight Virginia' to me has come to mean, free from any heavy amounts of casing and/or top flavoring

No, actually most of the terms that tobacco brands use in marketing are mostly meaningless, but "straight Virginia" implies that the blend is merely Virginia with no condimental leaf. But, the vast majority of commercial tobaccos are going to be "cased," which is very different from "topped."

But, companies add casings for a variety of reasons, such as keeping crops that may have different flavors year to year tasting consistent, to adding a branded flavoring to the tobaccos, etc...
Astleys 44 has licorice, which blends in with the tobacco flavors very well. You will notice it, if you think about it while smoking. Smoking it is way different from eating licorice, but it has some of the same qualities. But, thinks like licorice are great casings, because tobacco already has some of that flavoring in it already, licorice, honey, apple, etc... are already subtly a part of the natural tobacco flavor. But, they are added in amounts that enhance, not cover the natural flavoring.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I get licorice from Astley's 44 as well Sometimes. With Capstan Blue I sometimes get a hint of vanilla or tonquin. It it so faint and fleeting that I am not really sure about it. ATM I am smoking Best Brown Flake and I detect no added flavorings whatsoever.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Interesting info from Cosmic about casing. Does this include Marlin and the virginia in Nay Rolls etc?
Obviously something like Full Virginia Flake or Condor doesn't smell or taste like it just came off a vine. Something has been done/added to them to make them taste like that. But for something like Marlin and many other high quality Vas, the defining characteristic of the tin-note seems to be raisins or other fruit, such as rich fermented oranges.

I have never had Captain Black. I always assumed it was a mediocre blend. Is that incorrect?

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Marlin Flake isn't just virginia. There is black cavendish and perique in there as well.
My tobacconist swears that it contains rum as well. It's been a while since I smoked it but I don't remember a rum flavour.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I am smoking Marlin Flake right now. I really don't get perique, but then again I don't really "get" perique, unless there is a lot of it. It's mostly a va/cav blend to me. Quite sweet. The sweetness is that of sugar, not honey. I get some vanilla-ish sensation as well, but it might just be the sweetness that plays tricks with my senses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried this blend, but a member N8, sent me a tin of SG Brown Sugar Flake. Though i'm not an experienced Virginia smoker (though I've smoked my share) I found BSF an excellent full flavored blend, but despite the name, not particularly sweet, quite robust and rich flavored. I let it age for a while but finally dove in and smoked it up, such that I never got it jarred. For me, it smoked best when I grated it in a little hand grater, a bowl or two at a time. Lovely stuff, and being non-aro, no ghosts involved. Now I'm using the tin, with a new improvised label, to hold PS Luxury Navy Flake, so I can leave the jar of that shut.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
the best virginia's are picked at the peak ripeness where the sugars are at their highest probably why they cause the most tongue bite

Status
Not open for further replies.