PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Do you want sweet because of the casing on a categorical non-aro, or just sweet as in a pure unadulterated Virginia?
Casings and toppings are okay. I was thinking along the lines of what would "typically" be considered an aro but I realize that is a very blurry line.
It might be easier to ask to exclude added fruit flavors, rum & whiskey, etc. but sugars would be okay.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I have been wanting to try some of the Gawith and Hoggarth cavendish. I believe it is unflavored but through the production process it should be pretty sweet. If anyone has tried it, I would love to hear it. I have had it in Top Black Cherry and Black and Brown where it is flavored and quite good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never look for sweet in a non-aromatic, so I don't have a recommendation. When I want sweet, I don't want it upstaging the tobacco, so I look for aromatics that are tobacco forward, often more in the whiskey, bourbon, liqueur, rum areas.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Like others have said before me, lighter Va's tend to smoke "sweetly". Capstan Blue is my personal favorite tobacco so I recommend it highly with every chance I get. Orlik Golden Sliced is another very bright and sweet Va.
Rattray's Va blends are very unique but also tend to be snatched up quickly and not very "available". Marlin Flake, Hal O' the Wynd, and Old Gowrie are all very nice.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
+1 on Marlin Flake, very sweet indeed. Also Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake, which I believe has a very light rum topping

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Its new to me, but liking it...C & D Winchester.
Red Virginia and unsweetened black Cavendish (Kentucky Green River Burley) are mixed in a blend that is reminiscent of the old Rattray's 'Dark Fragrant.'

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
retrogrouch I am a big fan of the GH Black Cavendish. I like it straight but, it is great for blending as well. It has a light very light sweetness and is the mellowest of smokes. I like it because it is a VA cavendish (I am not big on the burley candied cavendishes). shanez besides recommending this, Rattray’s Black Virginia might be worth a try. It is similar to the GH but a little naturally sweeter.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
If you are looking for natural sweetness I think a straight Cavendish is as sweet as you can get. I'm surprised by everyone going to straight Virginia, they are not nearly as sweet as Cavendish to my palate.

Reactions: Road To Pines
Status
Not open for further replies.