PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've just got a straightforward question: What are the sweetest non-aromatic English/Balkan blends out there with medium to high levels of latakia?
I am asking about natural sweetness (presumably from Virginias) as opposed to any added casing/topping so I am not really asking about Frog Morton or crossover blends of that style...
We've all had latakia blends that are smoky and woodsy and leathery and earthy, but not all of them are contrasted with a prominent sweetness - in your opinion, what ones are?

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'd say Lagonda. There was some debate awhile back regarding if Lagonda is actually sweet or not, but I think so for sure. And definitely delicious.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You might want to try MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian. That's got Syrian latakia in it (as do all MacB lat blends),and it might give you what you want.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Give Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture a try. I also find Dunhill Early Morning Pipe to be on the sweet side.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I forgot about Rattray's Red Rapparee. It is similar to Dunhill Early Morning Pipe where it's mostly Virginia and Oriental which, to me, give it a sweet dried flowers, herbs and spices flavour. Combine that with Latakia and you get the incense like qualities that I LOVE about this style of tobacco.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions.
Herbinedave, I do have a 1.5 year old tin of Squadron Leader lying around. I suspect that it might be a little sweeter by now.
I have not had Northwoods or Frog Morton; while they are valid suggestions and I will keep them in mind, I don't know if they are quite in the category that I was looking for. (With that said, I am not prejudiced against them and may very well try them at some point) Flyfishn thanks for your recommendations AND for putting them both in perspective.
Let me add a little more background.
I have been predominantly enjoying straight Virginias and VA/Pers for many months now. I just love the caramelization of natural sugars as you smoke these blends - to me it beats any sweet aromatic...
So just the other day I decided to have a bowl of GLP Odyssey for a change of pace. I have had it before and it is a good solid Balkan blend with plenty of latakia flavour. For whatever reason, though, that first bowl of Odyssey for the first time in weeks was super sweet and it deliciously contrasted the smoky incense notes of the latakia. I don't know why it was like that - I have seldom had so rich of an experience with that blend...
So that's why I was wondering if you gents knew of a English/Balkan blend which would deliver a consistently sweet and rich Virginia flavour. (Odyssey has usually been "darker" and drier than that for me)
Flyfishn, as well, good suggestion on the blending latakia. I've been putting that off for a long time. (Some perique also wouldn't go astray; I usually like more than most blends have to offer)
serge & zanthal, I never heard of those ones - I'll have to look up a few reviews. Thanks.
undecagon, Lagonda is probably the Pease blend that I am least familiar with. I don't really know anything about it. You've prompted me to do some research...
Jud, I've been very curious about HH Syrian Latakia. I've never had a MacBaren blend - perhaps that should be my first, even though it is supposed to be atypical... Would you personally classify it as a "medium" latakia blend?
ohin, Now there is a style of tobacco that I have neglected to explore thus far. That's probably where I've gone wrong! I've read the reviews on all of those tobaccos but I was not sure if they fit the bill. I will have to reconsider...
If you could only get one tin between Skiff, Early Morning Pipe, or Red Rapparee, which would you choose?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Simenon, save your cash on the EMP.
Pm me. I'll send you a few bowls worth.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I've tried the new frog blend, i tasted a slight whisper of rum from the wood they put in, but it was sweet, having tried no other frog blends I have nothing to compare it to.

I do have some dried squadron leader I anyone wants it, just pm me with your address!

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
I would also say Plum Pudding. Personally, I got a good amount of sweetness along with the Lat and an aftertaste of Perique...... glorious stuff

btw, I still giggle every time I see your avitar.... "Could you have been born, Richardson, and not egg-hatched as I've always assumed?"

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
"Could you have been born, Richardson, and not egg-hatched as I've always assumed?"
LOOOL :rofl:
That was truly one of the best shows ever created. It was a mortal sin that they killed it off early...
Thanks again for your input, fellas, I've got an idea of which direction to head in.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Simenon,I would say you could do much worse for your first MacBaren blend. I smoke a ton of it. It is usually my first bowl of the day. I would say it's got a fair amount of latakia in it. It's got some really nice spicy notes to it, too, that make it interesting. And it is definitely not a typical MacBaren blend.
Here's what MacBaren says about HH Vintage Syrian.

Status
Not open for further replies.