PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I have started the hunt for a new SUV. The ideal candidate will hold at least 6 passengers and have a ton of room. The wife and I only have two kids, but sometimes take her elderly parents with us, so we need to be able to hold at least six comfortably. I am a large guy, so it has to have a ton of headroom and legroom, at least up front. Any thoughts? Ideally, I don't want to spend more than Cdn$ 100k, and hopefully a fair chunk less than that. Recommendations please.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've had several Range Rovers and a Suburban, the Rovers were much nicer but the upkeep was very expensive. The Suburban was much roomier and felt a lot "truckier"but simply would not pass a gas station. We have an Outback now and simply love it, but it would not hold six adults, four very comfortably and maybe five if your kids are young but not six.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a four-banger jockey who started with a VW bug in 1974 and hasn't graduated much, but for six people to

hit the road in one vehicle, in the style to which they are accustomed, and if no one is watching the fuel gauge

that nervously, I think the vehicle is probably the Cadillac 2015 Escalade, either the 116 inch wheelbase, or the

ESV with a 130 inch wheelbase, both accommodating 7/8 people. For the same job, one of the larger vans might

be practical, but not not offer what's needed, such as 4WD. I think the base price on the Escalade is around $71K,

but would not top the $100K mark, I don't think. But don't take it from me; I just listed one of my dream vehicles

as a Fiat 500.

landon

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2013
Lincoln Navigator L would do everything your asking and have plenty of room in back to haul things as well. This is what I am going to buy for my next vehicle so I might be a little biased . I drive a 2003 Navigator at the moment.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I"'ve had a Rover and a Suburban Peck,maintenance on Rover is expensive,I know you can afford that but the down time is a pisserThe GM is virtually maintenance free, roomy,comfortable, and although the gas mileage is for Shit I think it's the better one.Onstar is also good feature lock yourself out and you call,wham they unlock the car.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I've driven a Dodge Durango for a few years they are very roomy and have a nice easy fold down seat to get into the third row seating. It has 4 Wheel Drive and can tow a bunch; if you try to haul anything really heavy (weight in the cargo area) it can wear your tires if you do it often. I have the one that lets me switch it down to a V6 when I'm driving light so it can save on fuel. I think brand new and loaded they go for around 45K American whatever that is in Canadian and the 2014 model is getting really good reviews for updated interiors and overall look. On a side note I'm not sure if they still make that V8-V6 switch, so I'd just recommend a V8.

Dec 24, 2012
I was checking out the Durango. I had one of the first versions, in the 90s, and loved it, until my wife totalled it, lol. The problem with the Escalade is that it is so huge the wife won't drive it and also, I suspect I can't get it in to the underground parking garage at work. I have heard enough horror stories about Range Rovers from some of the guys at work that I am inclined to keep well away from that brand.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I had a BMW X5...for six months before I finally had to can it, what a hunk of shit! While it was in the shop, one of many times, I was given a GMC Yukon (Same as a Tahoe/Suburban) what a car! The 2013 rental was huge and got 20mpg due to its variable displacement engine...when you're on the highway, cruising, it shuts down unnecessary cylinders, when you need the power, they turn back on! This was a Lazy-Boy on wheels, and could seat 8. The irony is, we traded our Tahoe in to buy the piece of German garbage! Peck, this is my vote for you.

Now we compromised and the wife drives an Acadia (still worse milage than the Yukon!) Didn't need all that extra room, or we would have bought the Yukon.

landon

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2013
A Ford Flex may fit the bill . They come in all wheel drive and can hold 7 I believe . They also have a low profile so you should be able to get into the underground parking garage.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
Peck

I just spent the past two months doing the same and settled on the Lincoln Navigator for my wife. With your dogs and kids I would seek out the L model for the extra trunk space behind the third row.

Both the Expedition Max and Navigator L have power rear seats that fold flat, GM seats do not. Yukon and Suburban are more truck like in ride and handling so the wife really liked the Ford/Lincoln handling. Fully loaded you are looking around $80k but definitely look at 2 or 3 year older models for best value.

I drive an FJ Cruiser and all of the full size SUV's with 5.3L engines get better mileage than I do.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Tahoe or Yukon for sure. The 5.3L V8 is a nice motor and the platform is good. You can fit six easily and it will still have some room, but you won't have to drag around the extra weight and wheelbase of the Suburban.

Dec 24, 2012
Some good thoughts here. I looked at the Navigator - they just unveiled the new model which will be on sale soon, but it has been getting crucified in the auto press. In any event, I have an F150 crew cab Lariat Limited now, and the wife won't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole. Says she feels uncomfortable driving it because of its size. The Navigator looks about the same size to me as the F150. The X5 really isn't my scene. Something about the styling that turns me off. My daily driver is an Audi A7, and so I went to look at the Q7, but I wasn't crazy about it. The raked roof really limits the head room in that thing.
I also looked at the new explorer, but really hated the styling. So far the new 2014 Durango R/T is in the lead. I like the styling, and it doesn't seem as big as some of the others. http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131202/CARREVIEWS/131209993#
Some folks complain about the reliability of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, but I have never found that. I have a third vehicle that is a Jeep Wrangler that I have had for a few years and it is rock solid. The Durango I had many years ago ran without problem for the entire 7 years I owned it. On the other hand, I have also had a Toyota Sienna that was a mechanical disaster (my first and last Toyota) and a Mercedes SUV that seemed to go into the shop every two weeks.
I think I plan to go see if I can test drive a Durango R/T this weekend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a people-hauler your wife might feel comfortable driving, since you're going to look at the Durango

anyway, also maybe drive the Chrysler Town and Country. I rented one for a trip that involved hauling,

and though my rental van isn't the one you'd want, it could be dressed out admirably. Definitely room

for six, but not intimidating to drive, I can attest.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Well I used to sell cars so I will weigh in.
If I were in your place I would go check out the new Honda Pilot or its more luxurious version the Acura MDX. Both seat 7. Both get decent gas mileage 18 city and 25 highway and both would be reliable. I am not sure if it will be big enough for you but that would be for you to decide. Also the power may not be as much as you want as the v6 produces about 250 horsepower. While that is decent you may want more if you are hauling stuff. I just don't see much else out there that blends the reliability and fuel economy of the Pilot/MDX as well as the potential luxury features.
If you need bigger the new Chevy/GMC tahoes and suburbans aren't too much worse on gas considering they are bigger and more powerful v8's with 350 horsepower. They start off at about 15K (USD) more but you get more space and more power. What I cannot speak of is the reliability of these newer GM vehicles.
I would recommend going to a few dealerships and test drive them to see for yourself. Just tell the salesperson up front you are test driving several vehicles and you won't be making a decision that day.
Hope my rambling helps.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
This is the Ford Explorer 2014 , this is the one i would buy.
2yosdhs.jpg

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Some SUV'S are high off the ground and a little hard for old folks to get in and out of.You might keep that in mind when looking at them.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My wife drives a Subaru Forrester (too small for your needs). My daughter looked into the Honda Pilot - seemed like a nice car, and Honda has a great reputation. There's a nice looking Buick SUV that might fit your needs also.
As far as too high off the ground, just give your mother-in-law a goose, and I bet she springs right up there!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thinking outside the box, you might look at smaller RV's that could double as travel vehicles

and could transport the family members in unusual comfort for road trips.
Or, a low-mileage, moderately stretched stretch limo. This would be extra comfortable for

road trips, but not useful for off-the-road or towing. Depends what additional duties are

expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.