PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
A couple days ago I decided to change things up a might, and smoke something other than my usual blends. Started going through my tobacco chest and found a can of Sutliff Kasimir. I don't remember when I ordered it, but the can was still unopened.

I sat back and removed the lid. I was immediately struck by the strong latakia smell. I thought that this was going to be the usual latakia blend, and wasn't sure I wanted to end the day with something as strong as this, so I found a pipe that I don't smoke that often, and filled it with this rich looking, but strong smelling stuff.

As soon as I lit it I could tell this was something really different. There was the latakia taste of course, but it wasn't overwhelming at all. It was rather smooth and tasty. The aroma was a little lighter than most latakia blends as well. Maybe the cubed burley was comming in to play.

It was a little hard to keep lit at first, but once it got going, everything was fine. The moisture level seemed about right too. Not dry, but not all that moist either.

I don't usually post about tobacco blends because taste is so subjective. What one person loves, another may not care for at all. But I think that more people should be aware of the smooth, almost creamy taste of this latakia blend

I tried searching to see if anyone else had reviewed this tobacco before I decided to post this, and didn't find anything about it. Or I just don't know how to search very well.

In any case, if you are a fan of English blends, you may want to give this one a try. It manages to keep the latakia flavor and aroma, but at a slightly subdued level without sacrificing anything. I honestly can't find anything to criticize about this blend.

As for something to accompany this tobacco, I found that Johnny Walker Red was just about right. I reserve J.W. Black for more robust blends. I also found that it goes well with a cup of hot tea.

Some photos for you to look at:

Status
Not open for further replies.