PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I took advantage of P&C's 20% off sale and bought some Sutliffe blends, including Dark Chocolate. I haven't tried a chocolate in a long while and the reviews seemed favorable on TR. When I opened the box, there was a strong chocolate smell. That turned out to be Sutliffe's Chocolate Mousse. That Dark doesn't have much of an aroma. It's color is dark and the cut is similar to BCA yet overly moisture.

I packed a pipe and let it sit a while. I should have let it sit out in the open because it was still to moist when I lit it. The first 1/4 of the bowl was a bit bitey and artificial tasting. By midway, it settles down into a smooth yet unremarkable smoke. Flavor? Not much. No chocolate is translated in the smoking. Just a generic cavendish taste throughout. Room Note? Neither my son or my wife smelled chocolate in the room note. My wife didn't care for the smell though oddly, she likes the autumny smell of my English blends. By the end of the bowl, it was really no different than the half way point.

I'm gonna give it another shot in a few days, this time letting it dry much more.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I’ve never been impressed by Sutliff bulks and this review sounds like what I’d expect. A lot of people like them, but my palate just doesn’t agree. The best chocolate taste to me in tobacco is in the Gawith chocolate flakes. It’s mild but it’s there. If they made one without Latakia, I’d really be interested in that, but the Latakia that’s in there doesn’t cause too much conflict for me. Thanks for your review!

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
LOL... I picked up an oz. of Crème Brule at a shop the other day. Wettest tobacco I've ever clapped eyes on. And it will not dry. Ever, methinks... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.