Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
This is my regular go-to smoke and I have no idea what I'm doing but thought I'd post anyway.

Drying is not required but can help with getting/keeping it lit. Slow puffing and/or sipping is very rewarding for this tobacco.

Overall there is a dry grass/hay/wood that is very consistent throughout the smoke. Once lit well, a slow steady sip brings out a very noticeable citrus tanginess. This is one of the things I really enjoy about this stuff. If you don't like tangy you might want to avoid this one. The tang is followed by a nice sweetness. Whether the sweetness is honey or sugar I don't know but I find it a nice counterpart to the tang although (and I reeeeeally like sweet in my smoke) I find the tang to be the stronger of the two components.

That's about it. A nice and simple blend which is cheap to buy. In a world of gourmet sandwiches, this is a homemade PB&J. Nothing fancy, simple but comforting and satisfying.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shanez, I think you've sold some 707 here. This is sold bulk, right? sable' has often reminded us that Sutliff supplies some premium blenders with their stock so is not to be stereotyped as budget leaf. Some of their tinned blends are refined, as are some bulk blends. Even from my burley inclined perspective, a good Virginia is a beautiful thing.

Reactions: shanez

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sutliff bulks also 20% off at SP currently. Good review! Tried the 515 red or the virginia slices?

if so how does this one compare to those?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
So not long after posting this I gave my rotation jar to a friend and didn't feel like opening a Lb bag so I've been smoking other blends instead. While digging through some jars today I found another rotation jar of it with 10/11/2018 on the lid.

This stuff just works for me. It was like visiting an old friend. The kind of friend who's solid and you always know what you're getting.

Vs my original notes I found this to be more sweet forward and the tanginess more subdued but that was about the only difference.

Easy to light, ridiculously easy to keep lit, and non-bitey. I was 6000-7000 feet higher in elevation than normal with a wind and it still performed wonderfully.

If you want a simple, sweet yet some classic tobacco flavor, easy to smoke, and highly affordable blend this is it.

I can't think of any other way to put it but perhaps this is the poor man's Capstan Gold?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I think I'm gonna order some of this to put away. Anyone aged it yet?
The jar I've been smoking from is about a year and a half old. The only difference I'm noticing so far is the tanginess has subsided a bit which makes the sweetness easier to notice.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Cool, thanks for the reviews, I was thinking of picking some up from SP's Sutliff sale but wasn't sure about it. Next time I will.??

Status
Not open for further replies.