PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Yesterday i heard something about that the Sutliff/Seattle Pipe Club tins being very thin and that you should look out for that when cellaring these. So have any of you seen any rust or have had any kind of problems with them at all?

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I'm not sure about the rust but I jar all of my Seattle Pipe Club time immediately anyways because I don't like the sound of the tin when I tap on the lid. It doesn't sound like the greatest seal but what do I know? I have heard something about the integrity of their tins before also but it's been awhile.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The tins are food grade and will last for at least eight years in my experience, and that of several other people whom I know. That also depends on how you store them. Put any tin in a humid place, and you risk rust.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I won a tin of their Early Morning Pipe like blend at NASPC. Didn't get to it for five years. The tobacco seemed dry, but not overly so. My confidence in these tins would be 5-6 years.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hadn't given this a thought, so I'm grateful for this thread. I have two 2 oz. and one 8 oz. tin of SPC, so it is worth tracking. Thanks.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
These tins are non-magnetic (non-ferous) so they don’t rust, per se. Whatever environmental degradation that happens is something else. Don’t know what though.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I bought a couple pounds of the special reserve blends. I opened a tin each fresh and they were perfect. When I opened my second tin of plum Pudding I decided to jar the rest. I do think it would take at least five years and possibly more like Jim stated, but I'm a little on the paranoid side so I just jarred and sealed mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.