PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Well I got this in the mail today for my free sample. Its a Burley VA Cavendish mix, with a vanilla coating. I figured I would do a mini review on it since I doubt most of you havent tried it. The reason I am not trying to do a full fledged all out review is because I dont really like it too much.
The tin note is very reminiscent of of PA, but it has some VA brightness in it. TO put that off though there is an EXTREMELY chemical vanilla smell that overwhelms any decent natural tobacco smell.
The Charring light; To be honest its very hard to char, but when it does char it burns nicely, tastes of burley.
Body of the bowl; I say this because it is a very one dimensional smoke. It is predominantly Burley. It has hints of straight VA's and even less hints of the Cavendish. If that was it it would be a pretty good smoke, especially for burley lovers (which I am). The tobacco burns well but unevenly through the bowl. Once again if that was it it would be nice.
To elaborate on that, there is that sickly chemical vanilla taste that just sits there in the background ruining what would be a decent smoke.
This is an aromatic, and I know many of you know I am a VA smoker, but I did start with aors and have an affinity for them still. Considering everything, I would give this tobacco about 1.5 out of 5 stars. Its not bad, but it sure isnt great.
John

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
I have tried this blend..too much burly for me...not much taste...of course this is just my opion.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Excellent timing, John. I received a comp'ed tin of Sutliff's Blend No. 5 on Saturday. Before I opened it I zipped over to Tobacco Reviews and read 15 odd reviews of what they'd sent me. At that point I'd made up my mind that it was going to smell like wet dogs and sauerkraut and taste even worse, so I was pretty disappointed to find out how much I liked it.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not that sophisticated when it comes to tobacco. I'm not a fan of aromatics, I do like Latakia and that's really just about it. My wife didn't care for the Blend No. 5 aroma but I thought it tasted great and that it smoked well. And, as much as anything else, Sutliff actively sought out my business in an attempt to make me a customer. In this economy I think that's a pretty cool marketing technique.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
No 5 in my oppinion is a good smoke as are most of the english blends in the line aros the few I tryed NO...........

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
The tin note was a strange effervescent/Life Savers Wint-o-green smell. I wasn't a huge fan, I suppose if the apocalypse hit, and it was all I had, I would smoke it.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Weird, I got some in the mail just yesterday as well. And jchaplick, your description of fits my experience with it as well. But today I'm going to let some dry out for a couple of hours and try it again, I kind of like it, and hope some air time will help it.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I enjoy it myself, found it to be a good smoke with licorice popping up every now and then while puffing. I do give it some drying time though.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I tried the blend last night and I tasted a grapy flavor, but other than that it smoked ok, definately not my favorite, but will smoke it because it was free :?:

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Thank you for the mini review!

This tobacco was not for me and I don't have the experience yet to explain why other than this...To me it just tasted awful and I'm pretty sure it was the topping that reminded me of the aftertaste you get when siphoning gas, just not as strong.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Oh man, I'm disappointed, even air time didn't seem to help. I was hoping it would improve. I liked the flavor when I got it, but it had a tendency to burn hot, even when I was being slow and careful. I was kind of enjoying the burley flavor when I got it.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
The tin note had a sort of "berry" scent to me. Maybe grapes like Spartan suggests. This blend didnt really taste like anything to me. It was almost like hot steam coming through the bit. No flavor, just hot air. Romanza mentioned it burned hot, thats an understatement. Even slow, careful puffing left my pipes so hot you need an oven mitt to handle them. On a scale of 1-10, i rate it a zero. Id rather not smoke than smoke this.

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
I didn't care much for the "Great Outdoors" either. I agree with the initial statement that the blend is very one-dimensional. Definately a departure from usual taste.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
jchaplick...Thanks for the mini review, I like hearing members opinions on tobacco.... :clap:
Dervis it looks like you just might come out of this well.... :rofl:

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I got some for free also. I got kind of a vanilla-walnut thing out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.