Sutliff Molte Dolce (How Did It Take Me This Long?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You might be interested in looking up the PM Radioshow's interview with Paul Creesy who used to be the CEO of Sutliff, where he talks about Molto Dolce. Creme Brulee is the base for Molto Dolce, but they have added another topping to it which makes it wetter and gives it that distinct taste that has made it one of the best aromatics ever made. Paul also suggests not trying to dry it, as the wet topping will crackle, but not hinder the burning of the tobacco. I don't even bother trying to dry aromatics, like I do the non-aros.

But, I do like to add in some GH&c o Coconut Twist to Molto Dolce to give it some nicotine, as I don't get any from it by itself... plus I really love the way those two tobaccos come together. YMMV
Sounds interesting, I'll look it up when I get the time for sure. Also interesting about their recommendation to try it without drying. I only dried it because it looked like it had been sprayed with sugar water 5 minutes ago. Maybe next bowl I'll give it a go right out of the jar. I'll definitely be giving the creme brulee a shot here soon either way, as I will be interested to see the differences, particularly with the price difference.
I have some coconut twist laying around. I may try your combo, although as little as I smoke I get a nicotine hit from almost anything, but as you say, MD's was pretty light. I am intrigued by the flavor combo though, so I'll give it a go if I can remember the next time I circle back to this blend.
Thanks for all the info!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I will not tell old what's-her-name about that. It could get me in trouble!
Well writ indeed, & glad to hear it, pal! That "anusload" - how long was that, give or take? (Apologies if it was there & I missed it. I'm on Droid & a tad rushed right now!)
Why would Moose tenderloin get anyone in trouble????
An anusload is a very specific amount of time, typically between 1 and 48 hours, depending on what is being referenced :D
In this case it was about 4 hours.

Coconut twist is about a medium IMO. YMMV.

Yeh, listen to what Paul Creasy says about drying. I usually don't give a rat's ass about the blender or their opinions, but smoking it wet is much easier than reviewers make it sound, plus I like the crackle of the wet leaf igniting. :puffy: Once again, YMMV

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
1-48. Got it, tnx!
As for the moose, welllll, it's a long nnng story involving a cat & beloved wife's nickname, "Mooseface." Requires a certain level of Labatt's to properly comprehend, if you gets nah drif'. }:)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
plus I like the crackle of the wet leaf igniting.
I have to admit I also like this sound. Particularly when I am smoking late at night in my little shed in the woods with a good book, a dram of scotch, and the rain hitting the roof and no other sound, I love hearing the tobacco burn and seeing the small ember glow a little brighter.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As for the moose, welllll, it's a long nnng story involving a cat & beloved wife's nickname, "Mooseface." Requires a certain level of Labatt's to properly comprehend, if you gets nah drif'. }:)
Haha, I see. Well you can just tell her it was Elk. Unless you had a dog named Elkface....

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Welcome to the club! I very rarely smoke aromatics, unless it's Straus Sleepy Hollow in the Autumn months, but I recently picked up a tin of Molto Dolce and loved it. I also recommend not drying it. Well made aros will burn fine without drying, and they tend to lose flavor with much drying. Of course they'll need more relights than most blends, but they'll smoke fine anyhow.
Keep in mind that Molto Dolce was introduced fairly recently, which means that it won't be grandfathered in under the upcoming FDA deeming regulations unless changes are made to those regulations. In other words, Molto Dolce may or may not continue to be around for very long, so you might want to grab a few tins for your cellar soon. I certainly intend to.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Keep in mind that Molto Dolce was introduced fairly recently, which means that it won't be grandfathered in under the upcoming FDA deeming regulations unless changes are made to those regulations. In other words, Molto Dolce may or may not continue to be around for very long, so you might want to grab a few tins for your cellar soon. I certainly intend to.
Just did, on sale at P&C for $6. Grabbed some bulk Creme Brulee too, which is apparently the base for the blend and very close as mentioned above. Hard to pass up at less than 2 bucks an oz. Grabbed a few other Sutliff bulk blends to test out as well.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Haha, apparently! Angler’s dream is awesome stuff. Surprised it doesn’t have more of a following. Maybe its just me, because I typically like aros that are lighter on the topping but I think its great tobacco.
Russ's Chatham Manor (Carter Hall match) has recently surpassed Carter Hall as my go-to codger burley. I love my briars and more complex / fiddly blends, but as a former cigarette smoker who sometimes just wants an easy no-fuss smoke, I smoke a lot of cobs and burleys. I definitely need to check out Angler's Dream ASAP - a lightly topped cinnamon burley sounds excellent. Definitely admiring Chasingembers five tubs.
Just did, on sale at P&C for $6. Grabbed some bulk Creme Brulee too, which is apparently the base for the blend and very close as mentioned above. Hard to pass up at less than 2 bucks an oz. Grabbed a few other Sutliff bulk blends to test out as well.
Let us know how the Creme Brulee stacks up to Molto Dolce, because one or both will be included in my next TAD purchase :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Definitely admiring Chasingembers five tubs.
I bought ten pounds of the bulk immediately after it was returned from being discontinued a few years back. The tubs came back later and are actually less expensive than the equivalent bulk.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I bought ten pounds of the bulk immediately after it was returned from being discontinued a few years back. The tubs came back later and are actually less expensive than the equivalent bulk.
Sounds like you're well stocked in Angler's Dream. Is "lightly topped cinnamon burley" a fair description? It sounds like an excellent cob burley to enjoy with a glass of bourbon. Chatham Manor has been serving that role very well too :puffy:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
So would you say it's good for "Hooking" new smokers?
I lurked on a street corner by a play ground giving out samples. Gotta keep new pipe smokers in the system you know... :twisted:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I lurked on a street corner by a play ground giving out samples. Gotta keep new pipe smokers in the system you know...
I mean, if they really want to be cool, they would try some...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is "lightly topped cinnamon burley" a fair description?
Sure is, and the molasses shines through as well. My sandblasted Weaver blowfish is dedicated to Angler's Dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.