PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormazd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2018
Virginia, USA
I needed a filler to reach free shipping threshold for a recent order, so thought I'd take a flyer on some of this. I'm a noob, and have not tried the original Dunhill EMP.
I'm quite enjoying this one, and am turning to it frequently. How does it compare to the Dunhill?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't smoked either, but I think this illustrates that trying alternatives turns up some good blends. If you like it, it could be as good or better than the original.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I think it's close but not the same. I didn't care for the Match. If you enjoy the Match that's great, stick with that. I was in London last month and Dunhill still had EMP, I picked up a few more tins. Paying extra for EMP from the scalpers doesn't work for me. I don't like it enough to chase it.
My advice for what it's worth is to find currently produced blends (like EMP Match) and enjoy them. There are lots of great blends out there. More than you will be able to smoke in years to come.
Enjoy the journey.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I don't think you are missing anything with EMP. There are numerous other similar blends that are similar or better.

ormazd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2018
Virginia, USA
Paying extra for EMP from the scalpers doesn't work for me. I don't like it enough to chase it.
Yeah, I don't plan on doing that either. Was just curious as to how they "Matched."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are a world of various and interesting Va/Pers out there, one of the major genres in blending today.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Ormazd, here's my review of the Match if it'll help you:
The sweet Cyprian latakia is present, but not strong and its smoke and wood aspects are complemented very nicely by the sweetness of the Virginias. The lemon Va. offers citrus and grass, while the pressed Va. is tangy dark fruit sweet. The dry, woody, buttery sweet Turkish is a condiment. There is an extremely light topping of some kind that mellows the blend, which is aided by a little sugary black cavendish in the background. Burns cool and clean a moderate pace with a very rich, consistent flavor. The strength and taste levels are a hair shy of medium. Won't bite or get harsh. The nic-hit is mild. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste, and is an all day smoke. The Match lacks the red Virginia that the original has, and is just slightly sweeter and less grassy. The substitution of lemon for red Va. means the sweet notes are not the same, but it’s still a pleasing mixture.

ormazd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2018
Virginia, USA
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I think Daybreak from Hearth & Home is as good as, if not better than, EMP and I like it much better than the Sutliff match EMP.
Just ordered a pound from the P&C sale.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
+1 to johnmosesbrowm I think the Match is an okay light English but, there are much better out there. To me, it does not match the STG and definitely not the Murray EMP. I think that the Daybreak that, you have chosen, is about as close as you might come to it.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The Match lacks the red Virginia that the original has, and is just slightly sweeter and less grassy. The substitution of lemon for red Va. means the sweet notes are not the same
If all other aspects are relatively equal except the above, it sounds like I might prefer the Match to the original. I likes me some sweet smoke. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.