Sutliff - Find Your Perfect Blend Computer Quiz

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brass

Preferred Member
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I don't know how long Sutliff has offered their computerized blend preference inventory tool but I found it interesting. Have any of you used it? How good was it at predicting blends you would like? Mine came out County Cork. Have to admit I'll probably order a tin. Have to give their marketing department kudos for imagination. Great gimmick.
http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/home.html?s=y
Pax

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I've taken it at least twice, and it always says I'd like their Blend 5, which is a strong English blend, and though I haven't tried it, I think that's probably a true take. However, I have tried and enjoy their milder English blend Westminster, not to be confused with GL Pease Westminster, which I have cellared but haven't yet tried. So many blends, so little time.

brass

Preferred Member
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm with you. I'm buying very little bulk because there are so many tins to try. I have six months or a year in tins waiting to be opened, figuring out a tin a week. Buying more tins is just extending the Que. But I'm sure I'll order the County Cork, just for curiosity. It is a heck of marketing hook. I really admire their deviousness.
Pax

kendodan

Oct 22, 2013
I have taken it a few times. Once when I was a new smoker. I got Molto Dolce of course. Second time, after about a year I got it again. Just tried it again and got Country Doctor, which sounds interesting. I guess it's a good way to see how your tastes have changed as well!

yohanan

Preferred Member
Oct 1, 2011
Mine always state that I need Blend No. 5. (Sutliff was correct.)

mephistopheles

Preferred Member
Oct 14, 2014
That's a really cool tool, Brass. Thanks for putting up a thread about this!
I just tried it out. I ran it twice with the same preferences just to see if the answer would change. Here is what I got both times:

Here is my third attempt, this time using different preferences. I thought it was interesting that this particular blend was suggested in both rounds before.

bigpond

Preferred Member
Oct 14, 2014
Calling BS on the quiz. After selecting "hate it" for aromatics it recommended nothing but. I chose every option that favored savory over sweet my top pick is Dutchmasters Cherry. Really???

apatim

Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Got Blend 5 too: A robust English blend with character. Plenty of Latakia, Pressed Virginia, and Burley provide the base.
Like many people, when I first started smoking I chose aromatics but after getting a taste of the others, aros have taken a back seat.

delkhouri

May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
It recommended Court of St. James which is a VaPer/Lat blend. Never tried this blend because it has Latakia. I said I hated Latakia on the quiz, but it still recommended it.
Bunk quiz

anchovyd

May 17, 2015
The Sutliff quiz is a waste of time. I took it twice over the past few months and it always points to Molto Dolce which they seem to advertise very heavily. I mean when I pick steak over desert it should give me a different recommendation, but no. Plus the quiz itself doesn't make any sense. I love steak but then when I am finished with my entree I'll order a desert. I love steak and I love a desert just like every other red blooded american. I mean seriously who goes to Ruth's Chris and when the desert cart rolls up asks the waiter to bring him another steak.
The quiz is just a gimmick to sell more Molto Dolce which is a decent aromatic but puts off an awfully cloying room note.

hawke

Preferred Member
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Fun test to take, but I'll rely on my taste buds and actual smoking a blend to decide. Cudo's on the gimmick though. I'd say it sells tobacco for them.

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
I got Blend 5 as well, makes sense to me, I've got some put away but haven't tried it yet.
gave me Old San Fran, I may order a tin
I like it, have smoked two or three tins and have more cellared