Support for C&D

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

texmexpipe

Preferred Member
Oct 20, 2014
I know there has been some disappointment by many over some mold issues, but personally I can't see myself not buying their blends anymore. I love almost everything that I've tried from this company, and from the looks of it, they are making things right with their customers. With things the way that they are I don't know that I'm willing to help the with the downturn of a company within our hobby just because they made a mistake. I do understand that some have a considerable investment in their cellar, and they are taking an expensive risk, but I think it may be an over reaction to write the company off completely.
Where do you stand? Will you continue to purchase blends from C&D or will you abstain? Will you bide your time and wait to see where things come out? Personally I will continue to purchase their blends. I don't really cellar very deep, and also typically only by tobacco about once a quarter as my budget allows. So it may be resolved by the time I make my next C&D purchase.

sjmiller

May 8, 2015
It seems at times my motto ought to be "been there, done that, screwed it up" so I don't have a problem with companies that make mistakes, if they admit it and make admits as C&D have done. It may take some time but they are working on it. I will continue to buy their product.

sthbkr77

Mar 17, 2015
MD
I wouldn't be so quick to write off a company for a small issue they're correcting. Especially considering it's an organic product. Things happen and it's being addressed.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Whatever, I buy from these guys is most likely going to have been tinned a few years ago. So, no worries from me. But, I'd be a fool to make a large purchase of Temple Bar right now. At least until Greg has given us some words.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
The people at C&D are conscientious, their blends are excellent and I am confident they will rectify matters.
So, yes, I will continue to buy their products.

ashdigger

Preferred Member
Jul 30, 2016
When I first started smoking a pipe 5 years ago I had a lot of C&D blends, but nothing really stuck since I switched to VA and Vaper. Very little of my cellar is C&D, and I'm done buying large lots of baccy, but if I was still buying I would be very cautious of what I purchased.
I understand C&D is a stand up company and they are doing their best, but anything that I purchased this year, which amounted to over fifty pounds, won't see the light of day for at least five years. Seems too hard to have faith in a problem.

elpfeife

Preferred Member
Dec 25, 2013
I seem to recall a lot of concern a few years ago about rust inside some MacBaren tins. That crisis seems to have passed.

skraps

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2015
Write them off... not a chance. They are working to resolve it and make it right. Not sure there is much more you can ask for in a company.

pagan

Preferred Member
May 6, 2016
West Texas
S#!* Happens, as long as the company corrects the issue and make things right with their customers they are deserving a second chance, although ongoing issues will make me take my business else ware, such as continuous crappy shipping has driven my purchases away from a certain company

jackswilling

Preferred Member
Feb 15, 2015
Funny, I bought 21 tins of Temple Bar. I am resigned to my fate. As A.E.N. said when I was a child, "What, Me Worry?"

Mar 16, 2014
I haven't smoked many C&D blends. I've smoked and enjoyed Opening Night and The Beast was a fun blend. I found other tobaccos I like and have stuck with those. I hope they can get things turned around though, and further hope that it doesn't come to haunt them.

jabo

Jan 26, 2016
This type of thing happens in all businesses. I believe C&D will rectify any problems. I don't plan on discontinuing using their products. You have ta really screw up to make me mad. ;-)

krizzose

Preferred Member
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
They've earned a mulligan and from my own experience with the mold issues, they've stepped up immediately to fix it. This isn't a huge corporation, but a company staffed by a relatively small number of people. Sometimes things don't work out and I'll take my cues from their admirable response.

hmhaines

Preferred Member
Sep 5, 2016
CT
As long they stand behind the product, and are willing to fix issues that arise, I'll stand behind them. They're not a bad company, just in a rough patch.

sallow

Preferred Member
Jun 30, 2013
C&D is dead to me.
What if I open a cellared tin in 5 or 10 years and it is moldy? Will they even be around then with the FDA and all? How can they make that right?

sallow

Preferred Member
Jun 30, 2013
All life is a risk.
True, but you have to balance risk vs. reward.
For some, the premium received from a C&D blend might be worth the risk that it could very well be unsmokeable.
For me there are plenty of substitute blends that have a smaller (perceived) risk of contamination.

jacks6

Preferred Member
May 9, 2016
C&D is and will continue to be my favorite blending house. The folks that work there are great and I think they are more creative with their blends than any other company out there. Sure, there will be mistakes - and we know which blends to keep an eye on. I'll fully continue supporting them for as long as I smoke a pipe. I'll be crying in 2018 when some of my favorites come off the market.