PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
I thought I would try ordering an ounce of a couple of different English blends. Been smoking nothing but BCA (really like that stuff) but thought I would try an English. Keeping lower nicotine in mind....suggestions?

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
I would say Samuel Gawith Squadren Leader would be a good place to start. It's kind of my baseline English, not to strong in my opinion. But I'm sure the senior members of the forum may have better recommendations.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My first English was GLPs Lagonda... love it to this day. It's like rolling in honeyed amber with smokey incense and just the right "dry", not-too-sweet, rich, full, and creamy things going. Also right up there for me are Russ Ouellette's Black House, Smoker's Haven Exotique Mixture, and Lane's Crown Achievement. I did a personal best-of-throw-down challenge with what I was reading were the top 5 English blends out there at the time, and Black House came home the winner of that in spades! Enjoy!!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would suggest Dunhill Standard or Peterson Old Dublin, in addition to those already mentioned. A lot of aro smokers enjoy the Frog Morton series,although I don't,personally.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Well... there's lot's to choose from. The suggestions made thus far are all good. I would get an ounce of Proper English and maybe an ounce of Squadron Leader, Nightcap, and EMP. I think all of them are available in bulk? It's really a crap shoot.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Rattray Red Rapperee

Dunhill Nightcap

PS Balkan Supreme(I don't know the difference between English and a Balkan)

C&D Engine 99

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
McClelland's Frog Morton series would be a good start. If you've been smoking BCA and like it, why not get an English blend that has some sweetened black cavendish in it.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
+1 on Old Dublin.
Also, if you want to try several without buying full tins, I recommend Sutliff's bulk English blends. Sutliff Medium English is one of my favorites. Just a thought. Then you can try an ounce of each and see what you like.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Presbyterian and Squadron Leader are excellent reference points as English blends go IMO.
Cheers,
J

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For low-nicotine, I'd think Standard Mixture is the best introduction. However, there are good low-nic Englishes from most major blenders, so grab whatever's handy.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Dunhill's - Early Morning Pipe. That was my first english and my start down a great road to better tobacco.
Seattle Pipe Club's - Plum Pudding is tasty as well, not heavy in the nic.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Rattray Highland Targe

Peterson Old Dublin
Both are balanced, easy on the palette English mixtures.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
To me once there's enough Latakia to smell and taste it, it takes over and all those blends taste pretty much the same. The only one I find stands out a bit is MM 965 which has a broader spectrum of flavor than most others. But only slightly. I smoke Nightcap as my only English. Sipped slowly and savored it is a multidimensional taste experience. Puff it fast and all you get is the lat.

Status
Not open for further replies.