PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I know this is really going to seem ridiculous to you old timers, but WTH.
I've been fiddlefarting around with pipes for over forty years and finally got serious with our hobby around 24 months ago.
This week I received a couple of pipe nails and am astonished with how well they work.
What amazing tools!
There is no pretense or promises offered that can't be recovered. They stir up loose ash and tamp down tobacco. Ba-da-Bing! That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I've got some terrific tampers from well known makers and others I hold dear from good friends. But nothing beats the elegant simplicity of a .95 cent nail.
Fnord

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
fnord said:

"I've been fiddlefarting around

with pipes for over forty years ..."
Me too ... though I had one of those "nails" back in the 70s, it seems to have disappeared along with some really bad fashions from that era ... too bad about the disappearance of the 'nail' ... the 'fashions', not so much.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I got a bag of 10 when I started out. I also purchased 3 czech tools, and have since bought one of the brigham tools. The nails have remained my go to. One guy at my homebrew club has a 16 penny nail that he has been using forever and thats his only pipe tool.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Whew, when I saw the thread title I was sure fnord was posting about me.
Yes sir, pipe nails are a simple work of art. I have them strung out all over the place in my house, in my shop, in my office at work, in my car, even in all of my pants (I think). Can't beat 'em!
Best,
Pipestud

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
And a pipe nail also doubles as a great snuff spoon. The all in one tobacco tool. If you want to use a 10D nail, you can hammer the sharp end into a little scoop like the aluminium ones you buy.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's the only thing I ever use. I wish it was just one inch longer -- but then again, that's the story of my life. :lol:

DSCN0442.jpg

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
It's the only thing I ever use. I wish it was just one inch longer -- but then again, that's the story of my life. :lol:
Too funny!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It's hard to beat simplicity! I just wish I could get the mechanical engineers at work to realize that! I can get the nails for $.75 at my local B&M, and Czech tools for $1.50, I see no need to spend more for a pipe tool.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I'd used the Czech tool too. But got a Chinese on for 6-bucks with shipping on ebay that I like much better. Made of stainless and the pick is nicer and the tamper a just right oval. It has a decent pipe knife too. A bit heavy would be my only knock.
$T2eC16R,!zgFIduKwhTDBSe5QhPjr!~~60_57.JPG

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My wife has bought me some beautiful tampers - even the Peterson Sherlock. They display well, but I use my nails. I have 2 in my travel kit, 2 in the trailer, 1 in the truck, and 5 scattered around the house. Can't beat them!

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Day to day, I use one of my nails... The cheap aluminium ones abound around here. But, my "daily driver" is one I whipped up in the garage one day from a large stainless steel screw. Trash to Treasure (as they say).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several Czech tools and a nice handmade tamper, but I nearly always use one of my several pipe nails. It's just

quick and easy, on automatic pilot. In a pinch, a golf tee works, the pointy end for a pick and scoop, and the ball end

for a tamper. I'm not a golfer, but tees always seem to be around.

May 31, 2012
It's the only thing I ever use. I wish it was just one inch longer -- but then again, that's the story of my life.
LOL

Remember, it's not how big the nail is, it's howya swing the hammer that counts!
For a long time I used a golf tee.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Surprised that no one mentioned Golf Tee's used as pipe nails/tools.
Having one from a prestigious golf course like Baltusrol Golf Club in New Jersey, or any of the fabulous links of Scotland would be quite nice.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a number of pipe nails, I upgrade when dressing up.

But, my favorite "nail" is the square headed Brebbia with the little spoon on the end...

And, no Cortez.... I only use it for tobacco.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.