PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

klf007

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
I'm very new here, that's true, so I'm not sure if my opinions ever counts.

But I think that you should upgrade this forum. Why ?

Somewhere along the way, this version of the software will reach EOL and will not get any support anymore. It will be harder to find people who know it enough to help migrating the DB to another system in order to save all the messages that represent the soul of this community. You can't run a software forever and forget that in X years there will be nobody around who knows how to help/repair things when they start going down. Think about it...

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
The problem with Tapatalk, Nate, is that they're not content to let you have your app, and me have my app (my 'app' is called a Web browser...)
No, no, no...they have to try and push their damnedable app on me whenever I visit the site, Every. Damned. Time.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Fair enough. Luckily there are other pipe forums utilizing modern tech. Those of us primarily utilizing iOS and other smartphones which make using this forum difficult and tedious have other options.

May 31, 2012
Luckily there are other pipe forums utilizing modern tech. Those of us primarily utilizing iOS and other smartphones which make using this forum difficult and tedious have other options.
True that the other pipe forums can be fun,

but this place is inimitable and has no peer concerning the level of discussion,

not to mention the lush jungle of quality content provided by the online magazine itself.
Christianpipesmokers.net is the only one I know of where there is any real gravity of depth and it's a great forum.
Most of the others are "what are you smoking?" and "wow I love your new pipe" circle jerks of utter boorishness.
SF used to be quite good, but their mods are too heavy handed and that forum believes in the "fenced garden" model, similar to a gated community, where all the good stuff is membership only, therefore exuding an elite and snobbish air, but they have very many great people there posting relevant and interesting stuff.
I'm a hermit curmudgeon caveman for the most part,

and I'm thankful I don't have to deal with the stresses involved with owning a smartphone.
:puffy:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Most of the others are "what are you smoking?" and "wow I love your new pipe" circle jerks of utter boorishness.
I'm a hermit curmudgeon caveman for the most part,
LMAO! Check!
Some of us have more in common than I realized!

May 31, 2012
Some of us have more in common than I realized!
:P

Yup!
One of the major complaints about this forum I've read, besides the "old school" format, is that it is primarily for newbies, and it's true that there are numerous noob postings going over the same rote thousand-times-before topic, but what's so beautiful is that this forum has so many eyeballs and so much traffic, that even the most mundane of threads has a potential to explode into a mind-provoking or controversial discussion, I've seen it happen suchwise quite a many times and it's an aspect that I really love about this place.
I was once a noob myself, asking questions that some may think are stupid or clueless, but enough knowledgeable, gracious, and caring folks responded and answered my inane questions that I actually stuck with pipe smoking, I was about to give it up, totally frustrated and having an overall tongue-bitish nightmare of the whole thing, but I was groomed into a proper pipeman by the good folk here and was encouraged to keep at it...
...I am forever indebted to this forum because without it I would probably still be smoking roll-ups with a general misinterpretation of pipesmoking being just some silly old archaic pasttime for people who didn't really like smoking but only puffing for flavor, like connoisseurs judging wine, tasting samples only to spit it out, or some such similar analogous thang ifya know where I'm comin' from.
:puffy:

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Voting is a good thing.

This ain't a democracy though, it's an owned forum.

If you really want this, Kevin would be the person to talk to. E-mail him, make a proposal, and he accepts it, or not. Easy peasy whichever way he decides.

What's a tapatalk? Will it cause tongue bite or make my pipe gurgle?

Status
Not open for further replies.