PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Some of my favorites in that shipment. I actually quit cigarettes by switching to the pipe, myself, and Bold Kentucky and Dark Flake U/S are major reasons why I've been able to be cig free for nearly 3 months now. I tend to have a bowl of one of those two when I first wake up in the morning, when my nicotine cravings are at their strongest. As time has gone by, I can slowly feel the intensity of my cravings declining, and I can delay my first bowl longer and longer, and occasionally mix in more of a medium-strong blend in their place. Once I have my cravings taken care of, I like to smoke Latakia blends and VAs, which taste wonderful but may not be as strong. I keep a can of General snus around for those times when I need nicotine, but smoking isn't an option.

Reactions: cshubhra
The Reiner and Solani was in my wishlist earlier, I added them in this TAD. These two are mild. Rest are all strong tobacco recommendations. The Dark Flake is Unscented.
Nice haul! The Dark Flake (can't tell if it's scented or unscented), Burley Flake, and WarHorse, I would rank up there with some of the strongest. I am not familiar with the Reiner blend, but, the Bold Kentucky is more about the flavor than nicotine, IMO. And, I'm not sure why the AGF is in there. It is what I would consider more of an all day thing. All will surely be a joy to explore for the first time. Enjoy!!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Smoking a pipe in the morning is generally not an option for me, but with these I will definitely try to sneak in a small bowl.

The recommendations definitely helped!

Some of my favorites in that shipment. I actually quit cigarettes by switching to the pipe, myself, and Bold Kentucky and Dark Flake U/S are major reasons why I've been able to be cig free for nearly 3 months now. I tend to have a bowl of one of those two when I first wake up in the morning, when my nicotine cravings are at their strongest. As time has gone by, I can slowly feel the intensity of my cravings declining, and I can delay my first bowl longer and longer, and occasionally mix in more of a medium-strong blend in their place. Once I have my cravings taken care of, I like to smoke Latakia blends and VAs, which taste wonderful but may not be as strong. I keep a can of General snus around for those times when I need nicotine, but smoking isn't an option.

Reactions: danimalia

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to think Peterson Irish Flake was strong but the more I smoke it the weaker it seems. I have no problem smoking it on an empty stomach anymore.

I have tried the GH Dark Flake Unscented so far. It is fantastic, and based on the taste profile, I think I might like the scented version as well. The nicotine hits the sweet spot - depending on how much I have dried it, I feel I have had enough nicotine around 45th minute to 60th min mark. If I continue smoking probably I would get the buzz, but since I am satiated at this point, I put my pipe down.

I love the deep earthy taste, which has a very familiar smell from my childhood but could not really place. At the beginning I get some saliva but quickly I get used to it. I become a little lazy at the end so it is fantastic smoke before bedtime.

This will become a staple ...

I have not tried the others yet

Sooo, have you tried these yet? If so, what did you think of them?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@cshubhra
Tambolaka may no longer be produced.
At one time it was available through 4noggins.com, but Rich at 4noggins informed me, in early 2016, that the producer/supplier of Tambolaka had "disappeared", & it was uncertain if Tambolaka would ever be available in the future.

Not sure if it is available from Ciggies World: Tambolaka, in Indonesia.

Perhaps one of the forum members from Indonesia, or @pylorns, who wrote an interesting article, Indonesian Pipe Tobacco: A Sampling of the East Indies, could provide more information.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I used to think Peterson Irish Flake was strong but the more I smoke it the weaker it seems. I have no problem smoking it on an empty stomach anymore.
The same for me with Bold Kentucky. But the Kentucky from the Jack Knife Plug plugged my throat both times I tried it, it could be stronger than BK but the time will tell.

Very informative article... thank you. I am part of of Facebook group where a member from Indonesia posted some pics, but he left the group since then

@cshubhra
Tambolaka may no longer be produced.
At one time it was available through 4noggins.com, but Rich at 4noggins informed me, in early 2016, that the producer/supplier of Tambolaka had "disappeared", & it was uncertain if Tambolaka would ever be available in the future.

Not sure if it is available from Ciggies World: Tambolaka, in Indonesia.

Perhaps one of the forum members from Indonesia, or @pylorns, who wrote an interesting article, Indonesian Pipe Tobacco: A Sampling of the East Indies, could provide more information.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I used to think Peterson Irish Flake was strong but the more I smoke it the weaker it seems.

The opposite is happening to me with all tobacco. Since quitting ciggies late last year, my nicotine tolerance has been slowly decreasing, so all tobaccos seem stronger and stronger. I still haven't experienced the fabled Nic Hit from a pipe, though, just the alleviation of nic withdrawal symptoms to a greater or lesser degree. Can't wait for the day when smoking a pipe actually makes me dizzy.

I still smoke a lot of cigarettes... yet when so smoke GH Dark Flake Unscented close to 1 hour mark, I feel that a nic hit may come in another 15 mins or so. Never smoked it past the 1 hour mark, but that tobacco is potent

The opposite is happening to me with all tobacco. Since quitting ciggies late last year, my nicotine tolerance has been slowly decreasing, so all tobaccos seem stronger and stronger. I still haven't experienced the fabled Nic Hit from a pipe, though, just the alleviation of nic withdrawal symptoms to a greater or lesser degree. Can't wait for the day when smoking a pipe actually makes me dizzy.

Reactions: trubka2

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
that tobacco is potent

Yeah, it's got some juice for sure. Great for taking the tension out of my shoulders after a frustrating day at work.

I still smoke a lot of cigarettes

I smoked pipes sporadically while still on the ciggies. For the first decade or so of "pipesmoking," I used to take a break mid-bowl to smoke a cigarette, and I would rush the end of a bowl so I could have a smoke. Uuff, glad those days are done. My lungs are frigging ecstatic about it.

Reactions: shanez and cshubhra

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
The strongest I’ve had is tambolaka when it was available on one of the major retailers website, unbelievable. I also ordered a few ounces of pure long cut perique once. Smoked it straight, only once.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Some of my favorite strong tobacco:
SG 1792 Flake, GH Happy Brown Bogie, GH Dark Birdseye, HH Bold Kentucky, Jacknife Plug or Ready Rubbed, GH Dark Flake Scented, and Tabac Manil La Brumeuse.

If you are looking for strength, Gawith & Hoggarth wins hands down in my book when it comes to variety in strength as well as flavor.

I never got the nic blast that people talk about in regards to Irish Flake, Elizabethan Mixture, Haunted Bookshop, or Nightcap.

Granted, I used to smoke and started smoking with Camel & Lucky Strike unfiltered.

Status
Not open for further replies.