PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I recently noticed that there are pipes made from strawberry wood and am wondering what are the differences to briar pipes. Pros/Cons?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hate to admit I didn't remember strawberry wood was an actual variety of briar; I like that it is notably light weight. The other wood that I know that works well is Mountain Laurel, but it is fairly rarely used. It was popular during World War II when briar producing areas were in the war zones. A carver in N.C., Jerry Perry, carves some in Mountain Laurel, and I have one of his pipes, a small freehand, that was done in Cocobolo, though Cocobolo can be a problem to carvers in that its sawdust can sensitize respiratory tract tissue. After WWII, when briar again became available, many U.S. made pipes were stamped "Imported Briar," to emphasize that it was again available, and it was preferred and a good selling point.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is a type of briar
Totally different plant. Briar comes from the white heath "Erica arborea" and strawberry wood from the strawberry tree "Arbutus unedo" both are great for pipe making but I find strawberry wood to be much lighter.

Thanks for the clarification, Duane. I think I picked up that it was a variety of Briar from reading something posted by a pipemaker, which could have been mistaken as well. It is very similar in briar (if I am also not mistaken on this) in how it is harvested and used. The grain is very similar, with the lines and birdseye being very similar.

I have a few strawberrywood pipes, and two are Beckers.

beckergram.jpg

I have read that when he leaves them unfinished that means there are no flaws, but in this one...

beckertobaccostraw.jpg

...I cannot find any flaws. Both are my favorite smokers. I get more of a pure tobacco flavor, no weight on the pipe, and they are just beautiful to behold while smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This may be a strawberry tree. There were so many images of alleged strawberry trees some clearly not (including ice plant!) that I have no confidence that it is as it was labelled.
s'berry+tree+large.jpg

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I just read this small segment on the Vermont Freehand website that states:
Strawberry briar (Arbutus Unedo) is a softer version of the briar family and is primarily used for blasted finishes due to the interesting grain pattern and more chance of flaws than regular briar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_unedo
strawberry wood if from the tree trunk and is totally different wood

strawberry briar is in the same heath family as briar and is the root ball that is used

its called strawberry briar because it produces an edible strawberry-like berry.
I'm assuming there is a typo and "if" should be "is". So Cosmic was partly right about a strawberry briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.