PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Title says it all. I'm not so much interested in whether you disliked what you've smoked, but whether the blend was so strange that you found it difficult to decide whether you'd smoke it again. For me, just about any lat blend is strange, but I'm sure others have had more interesting smoking experiences.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I have a jar full of "mystery blend" in my den - it's full of left-overs. When I have a half-bowl or so left in the tin or package, it goes in the jar! To be honest, I rarely smoke the stuff, but when I do, I'm always surprised. The whole thing has really turned into some strange English / Aro / Virginia cross-over blend. What it's crossing over or into I can't say...

Jan 8, 2013
I have two jars like that gtclark. Whatever doesn't make it into the pipe goes into them. One I call Puff'n Stuff. The other which I save for any blends that are dark in color and blends that have latakia in them. I call that one The Black Dragon's Rage. Pretty soon I'm going to have to upgrade to larger jars for them both.
As far as already made blends that are strange... I suppose since I've only been smoking a pipe around 8 months (i think) every new blend I try is strange lol.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
After probably 20-25 bowls of C&D Crooner, I still can't tell you how I feel about it. I suspect I'd probably like a little deer tongue but alot of deer tongue is strange. At various times of the bowl, it's sublime and others almost unsmokable. Alot of highs and lows all at the same time.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Dan Tobacco: Milonga & Devil's Holiday

Planta: Danish Black Vanilla

Are a couple tobacco blends that I dislike, horrible tasting to me.

I find it difficult even describing the taste of these blends.

Just plain Yuk!!!

Everyone's taste buds are different.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
One thing about joining a forum as a newbie is that if the advice about good brands of tobacco is followed it is a fairly good bet that the newbie (me) will only taste differing brands of High quality tobacco. The experienced 'old hats' are the beefeaters of the modern tobacco world.
I received 3 'sample' bags of the home mix from the dealer when I bought my last pipe. I decided to try one of them today.........MY GOD! it was awful, it tasted like I was smoking an old sofa that was wrapped in the bandages used by King Tut. I smoked the whole bowl in the hope that it would get better but in the end I was left staring at the empty bowl in shock and horror.
So if anyone gets the chance to smoke 'bulldog' from Danpipes...pass, for your own well being.
Bulldog;

A mixture of the best golden Virginia, Dark Virginia, Dark brown Kentucky with a trace of Latakia.

High aroma flake scraps of Irish tradition.

nismo270r

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Northern KY
Strangest for me so far has been C&D's Capt. Bob's Blend. I really have no idea how to describe it. Some say the tin note is like grape or bubblegum, maybe grape bubblegum. I believe Chris Tarler told me there was 8 different flavorings involved, but I can't remember for sure. I'm sure it suits someone's tastes out there, I mean Capt. Bob obviously likes it, right?! :D

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
For me, it would have to be Grousemoore. Tastes like honey and lemons. Very strongly.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'd go with a couple of Lakeland blends for strange:
Ennerdale -- It's fruity, bubble-gummy and smells like shampoo. Very strange.
Kendal Flake -- It's got roses, geraniums, heliotrope and musk(!) in it. Needless to say, very strange.
Jess Chonowitsch T-14 -- This is a light aromatic with "woodland aroma." To me, it tastes a little bit like mango (which can itself taste like evergreen trees), but again, very strange.

nismo270r

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Northern KY
I had a sample of Grousemoor plug and couldn't get past 1 bowl. The Lakeland essence is definitely not my cup of tea and ranks up there in the "strange" category for me.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
For me it would be S.G. Squadron Leader. :oops: .
The after taste is very odd. Just couldn't stick with it.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Solani White & Black 763. I couldn't figure out what it was trying to be. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't good, if that makes any sense at all. I had some guys at the pipe club try it too and they were just as stumped as me. Lots of blank looks. Nobody could make heads or tails out of it. No strange flavors, it just didn't add up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Without question, Mac Baren's Navy Mixture. It is supposed to be a mix of a number of tobaccos, which

should have been a warning. There are blends I simply don't like, but I understand what they mean to be.

This is simply, for me, the junkyard dog of quality name tinned blends. I don't know where it, or I, went

wrong, but aging, drying, praying, and crying don't help it taste better. I think I keep it around just as

a monument to curiosity. Maybe someday, I'll open the tin, light it up, and love it; but I doubt it.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
One of the strangest tobaccos I've had is 221b Black Shag. It's not strange in a bizarre way -- no weird flavorings are added or anything like that -- but it is different than anything else I've tried and I can't compare it to anything else. It is, supposedly, all Virginia (stoved and fermented?), but doesn't taste like other Virginia's I've had. It looks like it should taste of latakia, but does not. It took me a while to warm up to it, but now I quite like it and have it at least once a week.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Holiday Spirit did it for me, just before I got completely out of aros about a month or two ago I smoked Holiday Spirit and it just tasted like a very airy perfume being sprayed on my tongue, I personally think it was the blend that got me out of aros, so in a strange way I am glad for it.

~Ron

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Gawith Hoggarth Scotch Mixture. I had high expectations for this one since I found the Scotch Flake to be really nice. However, this blend was a most definite WTF : Lakelands meet Burley and Latakia. How they came up with "the most popular Latakia blend in Europe" in the description of this blend is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.