PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
I think I would like to have one of these pipes but I know nothing about them. Can y'all tell me anything about sizes, model names and numbers, etc? Does anyone have pictures they could share?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I didn't think a straight system pipe was made. By 'system' pipe I understand it has to have a sump to collect moisture through gravity so can't see how that would work on a straight pipe...unless I have totally misunderstood the 'system' pipe.
Regards,
Jay.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Jay,
I think there is such a thing. There are a few websites around that talk about them. There were two on eBay a couple weeks ago so I thought they must be pretty common, but I haven't seen any since. Here are a couple pics I just pulled off Google images...
37485015294_31cacf9d1a.jpg

37485162034_991afa3d69.jpg

Anyone have more info on these?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
None of my Petes are System, but is it possible that the System design doesn't work as well on a straight pipe and hence not many are made? It raises the question.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Back to my original question. Are there different models and sizes or is a Peterson 31 THE straight system pipe?
Thanks Jensen for the info so far.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Shape 31 is the only straight model.

Petersons home page: L 5.32 H 1.58 W 1.58 B 0.75 D 1.18 W 1.71 oz ( for Americans)
I just saw a new one on ebay UK, £ 56.95incl. VAT

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I own one of those, paid $71 for a new one. Actually I bought it when my son was born 2 years ago. I was somehow influenced by this:
It is said that in the past noble families ordered artisans to make pipes for their baby boys on the day they were born. After the pipe was ready, it was given to a captain sailor to smoke it for 18 years. It was believed that a pipe would become dry and mature in those 18 years. And when the kid celebrated his 18th year of birth the pipe was given to him as a gift.
As it is stated above, it is the only straight System pipe that Peterson manufactures:
2015-11-07-170958-600x450.jpg

Pros

- It is a nice, small pipe for 30-40 minute smoke if you are a slow smoker. I heard some manage to finish smoking in just 15 minutes. Not me.

- It smokes fine, but you have to be used to p-lip stems.
Cons

- It is a real pain in the butt to clean this pipe. That's why I don't see myself reaching this one too much. It captures the moisture in the chamber below the bowl and it disturbs me leaving any residue there. So after each smoke I have to disassemble the pipe and use few q-tips to clean the moisture chamber.

- Other than being small, the bowl height is really short, because it has a little chamber under the bowl.
I couldn't get my eyes from it, so I was always looking for one. If I had been familiar with this pipe before, I wouldn't have bought it back then. My
rolling_cents.gif

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Dear jvnshr, I enjoy cleaning my Peterson system briars and it takes time after

every fill but I am retired and have nothing else to do.
Jørgen

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Jørgen, your words put a smile on my face, that must be a hyggelig time for you. The thing is I have to deal with OCD while cleaning my pipes, so cleaning a Peterson System pipe is a difficult task for me :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Actually I bought it when my son was born 2 years ago."
Someone who lives up the road from me in an old manor house bought a brand new Rolls Royce on the birth of his first son. Said Rolls was then put into a garage on the estate and the garage doors were removed and the space bricked up.
When the son reached his 21st. birthday his father gave him a hammer and chisel.....true story!
Regards,
Jay.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Someone who lives up the road from me in an old manor house bought a brand new Rolls Royce on the birth of his first son. Said Rolls was then put into a garage on the estate and the garage doors were removed and the space bricked up.
When the son reached his 21st. birthday his father gave him a hammer and chisel.....true story!
Well, thankfully mine would just need a tamper and matches.

I have had Petes, but the 1970's Savinelli System appealed to me more. I have two straights and two bents. They are almost exactly the same as the Pete System. My problem is that you have to be aware that the pipe is designed to work best held upright, because of gravity drawing the moisture down into the reservoir. But, then you've got this little bit of nasty and vile smelling liquid in your pipe. So, if you lay your pipe down sideways while smoking or afterwards, you get that crap poured through the nasty chamber and into your pocket, or dampening the tobacco your smoking with putrid spunk. It's never very much liquid, but like skunk spray, it doesn't take much to ruin a shirt or a smoke.
I think that the key is always making sure you have a stand to hold your pipe when you have to put it down. It's not very practical, IMO. Besides, they don't magically make a smoke better, unless you just haven't developed a preference for drying your tobacco and smoking in a slow, sipping manner. They would probably work best for the "straight of the tin" and puff like choo choo folks.
I do smoke my Bent Dublin Savinelli Dry quite a bit, but it is dedicated to aromatics and I shove a small piece of cotton in the dry well, and I remove it after the smoke. I've noticed that smokingpipes has announced that Savinelli is reviving that line of dry system pipes again. They are sweet looking pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gimme the old straight-through airway and the fishtail bit, and I'll be fine. Petes or otherwise. I know the System pipes can be an authentic pleasure. I just like to "keep it simple, simple as I can," to quote one of the best N.C. poets of her generation.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Honestly, the system on a straight will not do a whole lot without gravity working for you. It almost becomes a mini RC pipe at that point. Seems unless your pipe really droops in your mouth, it is pretty pointless to bother with a straight system pipe.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Well, I like my tobacco dry so in my case the pipe doesn't trap too much moisture. I smoke it like a normal straight pipe (not drooping) and I've never had any problem with it. It is not gravity keeping the moisture, but the temperature. System pipes provide the tobacco smoke with more surface area so it can leave the water droplets on the walls of the cooling chamber (or whatever it is called). Once there are lots of tiny water droplets, they gather and create a drop of water. Now gravity can affect this drop of water. You will need few drops of water to collect on the chamber thus it can flow through the stem into your mouth (as below) and you have to be a very wet smoker to gather that much water in a pipe:
O8yaOq1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.