PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Been following a few threads discussing the possibility of a latakia shortage looming on the horizon so I would like to squirrel away a few pounds.
First, I’ve heard latakia can loose its flavor/aroma if cellared too long so that is a concern. I’m thinking 10 years or so.
Second, I’m up for recommendations on which bulk brands to consider. C&D bulk latakia gets very good ratings and there is a decent sale right now.
Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a highly reputable Lat blend in which the Lat lost almost all its flavor. I don't know if it was something about the batch, or if had aged more than I knew. I added condiments that made it smokeable, but I've never had Lat fade from view like that.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Hey mso thanks.
Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of. I’m pretty much interested in a straight or blending type latakia and C&D seems to be the highest rated bulk.
Really hoping I can put some away if the rumors are true but don’t want to invest if it’s going to fade on me after a few years.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I've had about 5 pounds of shredded Latakia stored in mason jars for about 5 years. I threw in an

oxygen absorber in each one. Can't tell if its helped or not as I have not used any. If you have a supply of Nitrogen you could also flush your container with it. I've done that too but have not opened any containers. The way I look at it, most things age because of oxygen. Keep oxygen away and aging is greatly slowed down.
You can buy Whole Leaf Latakia from Whole Leaf Tobacco

I have never experienced a bad aged latakia blend. But, it has been recently that this has been a "thing" on the forum. I don't notice it "diminishing," but sometimes it is easier just to let people say stuff that goes 100% against my own experiences than to try to question someone else's taste buds. And, 99.9% of the time this is said by someone who doesn't even like latakia blends. Besides... that means less people setting back blends that I think are delicious.
But, if people want to believe that latakia blends diminish in time, that burley doesn't age, and aromatics all suck after a few years... then it really doesn't bother me to have so many people misinformed. My own experiences say differently, and what?,,, like I want more people hoarding away more blends? Ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.