Storing VaPers: Good Thing Or Bad Thing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Having read much about the benefits of ageing certain tobaccos, particularly Virginia heavy blends, I wonder about VaPers.
Does the Perique component survive prolonged storage in the same way as Virginia tobacco or does it diminish in taste as I believe Latakia is prone to?
Now I don't stock up on tobacco to age it but for the reason that (in the UK at least) the clock is ticking on us being able to purchase our favoured blends online and therefore fear that living right in the sticks as I do my access to tobacco will be severely limited when they do change the law.
Thus far I have been slowly amassing Sam Gawith's St. James Flake and Plug plus Rattray's Marlin Flake but there are a few American VaPers that I would like to add to my collection.
Will the Perique still be tasted after say five or ten years living in the bottom of my wardrobe or will I just taste the Virginia?
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 12, 2011
I have wonderful VaPer blends with 5yrs of age on them and the Perique is as outstanding as ever even after 5yrs of age

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I believe Va/Pers are considered one of the best targets for aging, although I've never tried to myself.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Some blends..some people say the Perique loses its "punch" after 4-6+ years. I've never personally aged a VaPer for that long.

I'd think, even if the Perique lost some of its "punchy" power, the marriage of the flavors and overall smoothed out bouquet would make up for it.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Virginia blends are said to be the best for aging since virginias get sweeter with age. Latakia blends are not because latakia loses a lot with aging (unless you want that).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just had a friend gift me some Escudo from 1999 and I could still very much detect the Perique. It was damn good in fact!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Perique mainly seems to hold its own for years. I've had some old blends where it seemed a little stronger than when they were fresh (Solani 633 comes to mind here), and other times, muted. I think it depends on the ratio of perique to Virginia, which, depending on how it ages and its inherent strength, may subdue or help mellow the perique a little.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
VaPer blends are ideal for aging, short- intermediate- and long-term. Have no fear. Jar that tobacco up and rest assured that you will be treated to smoking nirvana, be it 5, 10, or 15 years hence.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Perique goes from pepper to plum and bread with a decade of age. Not a bad thing at all.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 Captain Black Mustache.
Jay, the Sam Gawith's St. James Flake, plus Rattray's Marlin Flake will age wonderfully, even in as little as six months. Reminds me to add some more Marlin Flake to the cellar.

(Would love if SG made St James Plug available in the US)

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Another yes.
Va/pers are actually what I smoke the most of, and also what I look forward to the most when it comes to aging.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Been smoking some Deluxe Navy Rolls with about 5 years on it, and it is wonderful stuff, sweet and peppery as it should be.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
5-10 year old Escudo ... yum! Less of the pepper, more of the stewed fruit ... there is minor muting of the Perique but somehow the Virginia becomes less thin, more substantial. My favorite ager. I imagine Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls and Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye 403 age just as well. (What DNR I've got is less than five years old ... I'm mostly leaving it alone for a while. :wink: )

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I think it depends on the ratio of perique to Virginia."
That makes a lot of sense actually. Anyway, the consensus seems to be that yes it does survive prolonged storage...even improving over time so thanks chaps for your input :clap:
Now to find which American VaPers out of the many produced I shall be adding to my collection. Beacon is one I like for certain and fingers crossed Stan may be supplying me with more to trial in the near future :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm banking on it. Have a number of lovely Va/Pers heading into their primes, and I'm in no huge hurry. I enjoy English, Balkan, burley and other blends, but a good Va/Per is a whole new day.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Now to find which American VaPers out of the many produced I shall be adding to my collection. Beacon is one I like for certain and fingers crossed Stan may be supplying me with more to trial in the near future :puffy:
As for American blends, you'll want these in the cellar:

GL Pease Fillmore

McClelland Beacon Extra

Low Country Waccamaw (hybrid)

GL Pease Haddo's Delight (hybrid)

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
If the VaPer is too Perique-forward for you, storing it will probably improve it. If you think it could use more of a perique spice, then storing it will probably make it less satisfying.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Perique, thanks for the suggestions but Fillmore is definitely out due to the Latakia content. As for Beacon Extra I do have a tin but prefer the plain version by far.
I do have a tentative order with Stan for several McClelland blends so if/when they arrive I will eagerly dig in to see what suits my palate and therefore what might be worth stocking up on.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.