Storing Bulk Aromatics - How Long Can They Last?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've seen a few threads on storing tobacco - but none seem to address aros.
I like my occasional aros and wouldn't mind stocking up on some bulk, but I've noticed that any aros I've stored in mason jars (not the OTC tobaccos with preservatives) become noticeably drier in only 3-4 mos.
I have assumed there's no point in storing them beyond that, and so I have yet to stock up on aros. Is there a trick to storing these or are they just not meant for the long haul.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Funny you should say that. I checked on about a dozen or so aro's that have been jarred up from 10-12 years and all were moist as the day they went in the jar. Smell great too but haven't tried them out since my relatively recent fascination with non aro's.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's really promising. How are you storing them *exactly*? I just use a mason jar with a screw on cap. Are you doing something different?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'd say they'll last as long as any tobacco provided they're stored properly
I always figured aros needed to be handled differently from regular tobaccos - but maybe not. Aros are wetter and have flavorings, so seems to me that they need to maintain their moisture, more so than reg. tobaccos. When my aros have gotten very dry, I notice they lost a lot of their flavor.
Which leads me to another small concern—are they all safe after long storage? For ex., I like a Wilke aro that uses natural VT honey and vanilla. I wonder if certain ingredients will go bad after a while?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
They don't improve with age,like Virginias do,if that's part of what you are wondering. They are intended to be smoked now.
Other than that, I don't know, because I don't smoke 'em.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
They don't improve with age,like Virginias do,if that's part of what you are wondering. They are intended to be smoked now.
Thanks Jud. This was something I was aware of - but its worth mentioning. With tobacco policies and prices being so volatile, I'd like to bulk up on some of my favorites—if possible. Still not really sure. Sounds like some here have had more success than me, but not sure what they are doing differently.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I really don't know if the "Aromatics don't improve with age" thing is entirely true....This small sample of old 1Q here certainly isn't the same as the horrible stuff I was conned into buying originally. This actually smells very nice, and isn't sticky or goopy, and the color even seems darker than I remember. I think maybe because of the flavorings in aromatics the changes in the tobacco aren't as noticeable, but as for not improving at all...I don't see how that could be the case, considering it's still aged tobacco, and aged tobacco is almost always better than un-aged tobacco.
The plot thickens...
I agree that some of my goopier aros improve quite a lot after some months of drying out, but I was always under the impression that tobaccos with flavorings won't age the same because they are coated, which inhibits the aging process.
But maybe not. I think we need a Tobacco Test Kitchen.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
I am real keen to here more about this concidering how things are going .. am i wasting my time stocking up on aros ?, should i stick to other blends? .. i would not be to worried myself if they lost a small amount of flavour, however i would be kinda pissed if i spent a wad of cash stocking up only to have them go bad ...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have some bulk blends that have been stored for almost a year now and they're not overly dry or anything. Still smell and smoke great. I use the plastic hinged jars with the rubber seal.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
i dont know if this is at all true...I was told by a friend whos smoked 1Q for 20 or so years, that it isnt cased like most aros, whereas most of them will loose flavor over time because the casing is alc based and it evapoates.

Is it cased different or is my buddy making stuff up?? I cant say for sure but he claims the aged 1Q like Mike is referring to has a great chocolate tone.

I do like 1Q alot but have never tried any aged..

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
i dont know if this is at all true...I was told by a friend whos smoked 1Q for 20 or so years, that it isnt cased like most aros, whereas most of them will loose flavor over time because the casing is alc based and it evapoates.

Is it cased different or is my buddy making stuff up?? I cant say for sure but he claims the aged 1Q like Mike is referring to has a great chocolate tone.

I do like 1Q alot but have never tried any aged..
Hmm... I have no idea, but losing flavor in my better aros has been true in my case. So I wonder if some 1Q versions use preservatives...

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Maybe the answer is: It depends. Not a good answer but that seems to be the case.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
My aro's are stored in a hodge podge of different glass jars. Some mason style, some empty salsa jars, some hinged and some friction fit plastic or rubber gasket. Also had some stored in plastic bags and tins and those were toasty.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Over the last 10 years I have been heavy into Aro's. Some of my first blends from 15 years ago are still in good shape. I smoked a blend I stored 17 years ago last week, and it smoked and tasted just like it did 3 years ago, which I remember was what it tasted like 7 years ago.
Jud is correct, they do not age, (get better) but, stored correctly they should not get worse. Air is the enemy, keep that out and the casing will last. Evaporation needs to go somewhere and giving it no where to go keeps it in the baccy stored.
I Only use mason jars and make sure the lid is new, sealed tight and do not open and close it often. In fact my blending stock is all stored in mason jars, and it never seems to suffer.
On a side note, if you want to fresh up a flavor, set the jar, unopened on a heater vent for a day. It will sweat into the baccy again, and not be dry. I have done this many times.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys - very promising.
I smoked a blend I stored 17 years ago last week, and it smoked and tasted just like it did 3 years ago
8O
That's really surprising, but great to know. I may just start stocking up a bit on my favorites. I've got to do a little more testing.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
He's apparently fond of it, smokes it often, and should be able to give a good idea of the changes, if any, that occur.
I can't wait to hear about it...I've actually been wondering this very thing for awhile

1Q is the one aro I do smoke regularly

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
My Captain Bob's Blend is most certainly a light English aromatic tobacco. I have mixed five-pounds and stored it in quart mason jars simply sealed with a twist of the cap and opened them three years later with absolutely no change in smoking pleasure at all. I could not tell the difference between freshly tinned and the stored tobacco in mason jars. Simply, gently hand press the air out of the jar as you pack it and all should be just fine! At least, that is my experience with my own blend. That being said, note that the "blender" has manufactured your aromatic to be smoked upon completion and not all aromatic flavorings will perform the same. Just because my blend does age extremely well, that is not necessarily the case with all aromatics. My blend contains no PG (propylene Glycol). Personally, I will not smoke any blend containing PG for the purpose of preserving the blend on a shelf. The reason that Cornell and Diehl does not vacuum-seal their tins is to allow some air for aging of the tobacco.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.