PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have heard that storing aromatics is pointless because over time it will lose its flavor.

Just wanted to know if this was accurate and if anyone knows from experience how long one can store it before it loses it's flavor.

Thanks everyone!

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I have few tins of Holiday spirit from 2009 that are still good I only have one of them opened so I would say at lest 3 years longer if unopened.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I've heard a bit different.
If you store english they will get better over time.

Aros will stay the same, no better/ no worse if stored properly.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I agree aromatics if stored well basically stay pretty close to the same. The flavours might mellow a little. It also depends on what the component tobaccos of the aro are as well.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I think it depends if you are storing or aging. Storing would be unopened and air tight I believe.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
@photoman13

I was thinking about this also. If I create a vacuum of sorts and prevent aging, then it would probably keep.

Letting air stay in the jar would probably cause it to lose flavor over time.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I think aging is where I believe you would loose flavor with an aromatic and mellow a so called English blend.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I seem most posting here storing in sealed mason jars, no vacuum involved.

I have a vacuum foodsealer that can do mason jars but the special lids are expensive.

I'm sure it would be better but the question is how much....

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Another question that will probably get a 100 different answers. I know a couple of people who buy tins and don't open them. I would assume that would be storing?

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I would assume so to because I believe the tons are vacuum sealed.

Guess I will just jar up some aros and hope they keep. I've got 1lb of aromatics and I don't want to keep it all in bags because it will take me forever to smoke all of it.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
C&D Tins are not vacuum packed! C&D believes that proper aging requires some air in the tin. Now, as for storing aromatic blends, don't do it for long term. It does depend on the several elements. One is the tobacco elements of the blend. Another is the "sauce" element of the blend. And, finally, the method of storage. Your best bet is to store it in the tin unopened. Personally, I have had great results with my Captain Bob's Blend being stored in the original tin unopened for up to three years. However, I will always fall on the side of this fact - Aromatic blends are intended to be smoked when manufactured. I suggest that you follow that advice for the very best results. There are many factors (as mentioned) that affect the storage process. You might ask why do I feel CBB is fine after three years? Well, it is because the one-pound tin is tightly packed under pressure, with no airspace. I have not noticed any change after three years. Simply put, the same cannot be said about the packaging of other aromatics. Then, there is the sauce itself. Some sauces break down in intensity and actually do change chemical character with time evolution. I know this to be a fact! So, you will have to experiment with aromatics. I would just not recommend buying and storing your favorite aromatic for an extended period of time (years) without consulting either the manufacturer or someone who has actually stored it that long and formed a judgement. Please remember that all tobacco's have flavored casing and/or topping. What determines an aromatic versus a non-aromatic is simply a matter of "DEGREE"! Therefore, my conclusion is to not indefinately store heavy aromatics and expect them to be as good as when purchased. My opinion is that it is more than a fair bet that those aromatics will, indeed, deteriorate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Depends on the manufacturer; some only create a partial vacuum as to allow for aging. I can't give much more information; just remember that from some reading somewhere, sometime.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Perhaps long term storage is where the drug store blend may shine. The chemicals and poly g that we sometimes complain about may make them the perfect aros for multi year storage.
This is an interesting question as there are so many threads about stockpiling. It would be sad to have stockpiled many pounds of aros only to have them fail when opened 10 years from now.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I recently opened a tin of Peterson Special Reserve 2004 that I picked up in a three year old B&M. No doubt an aromatic, and I distinctly detected a raisin scent in the tobacco. It had a mild bite to it when opened, which went away after about 3 days. I can taste hops while smoking it.

Since I do not know how it would be when fresh, I have no way of telling whether it improved or not, but I like the way it tastes and smokes, so I dont think it was a bad deal. I should point out that this was packaged inside a sealed foil pouch, then placed in an unsealed tin with hinged top.

9218bb99.jpg

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
My 2 cents! I have aros stored in Ball mason jars for over a year and there has been NO change. That's the simple answer. There's a lot of theories and I think the best thing to do is just do it and learn from experience.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
  • Riner +1

I generally agree with Capt. Bob on this issue.

I heard somewhere (I think in a Per Georg Jensen video) that tins are partially vacuumed (40%) primarily to ensure a good seal on tins.

Vacuum sealing a tin will not stop the aging process, it will just alter the metabolic pathways responsible for aging. Anaerobic bacteria and (maybe) some fungi will still do their magic work.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
At the rate I smoke (slow) and with the number of tins I have open (many), I guess I'm an experiment in progress. What I noticed was that in their original packaging (tins, bags, pouches) my blends were slowly drying out after opening. So I now have 250 ml mason jars that I immediately transfer the tobacco to after unsealing the tin. It slows down the process, but some moisture is lost every time I open the jar.
Other than the drying, I can't say I've noticed changes in the aromatics (or the englishes, either). My oldest open stock is about two years old (since opening).
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.