PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I am trying to improve my pipe smoking technique. Something that I have noticed in all my blends and pipes is that the burn in my bowls tend to tunnel a bit leaving barely burned the edge of the bowl.
Slowing down is an obvious answer but I am going quite slowly, at least I think I am, because I get good flavor and the bowls are not too hot.
Any tips and ideas on how to keep the full width of the bowl burning down evenly?
Edited for Title Capitalization. See Rule Number 9. Cosmic

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's not necessary to keep the entire diameter of the bowl burning. Flavor develops in "zones" adjacent to the hot ember -- not from within the ember. As the "tunnel" develops, just use your tamper to collapse the unburned tobacco downward and in toward the ember.

timg.jpg

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
It is supposed to tunnel, says several pipemakers I have spoken with. You don't want the embers on the bowl or wood. As mentioned above, the tamper push down method or finger push method works

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Well that is an eye opener.
Thank you to everyone. I will be collapsing the wall from now on, and relax and enjoy the flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, that is closely observed. I have never noticed that effect after all these years. Now maybe I will. I had to read the original post again to visualize what the tunneling is.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Agree with all of the above. Would add: try letting on the intensity of draw. The pipe might develop a more natural burn: less of a tunnel.

Mar 1, 2014
It’s kind of ironic but the “perfect” tobacco pipe would never burn any tobacco, flavor comes from the zone just outside of the combustion area, not from combustion itself.

Burning the tobacco just happens to be a convenient way of accomplishing the effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.