Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
This was posted on SToP's facebook page
The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania

July 21 at 8:35am ·
Buy It While You Can
With the FDA Deeming Regulations poised to take effect in about two weeks, I have some sobering news for our friends. Unless something changes, there will not be another production run on the 5 original Standard Tobacco Co. of PA blends. Once the current inventory of War Horse, Bengal Slices and John Cotton's is sold, there will be no more. Ever.
I've held off making this announcement until I was certain that the end is near. August 8, 2018 is the cut-off date for selling post 2007 blends such as ours without an FDA Substantial Equivalence (SE) approval. Since it now appears highly unlikely that we will get an SE, and since our distributor does not want to get stuck with product that they can not sell, their plan is to sell out existing stock and not re-order.
Caveat: If we sell out of everything quickly, the distributor might change their mind and do another run, but that is doubtful given the glut of new, last ditch blends clogging up production and warehouse space. Also, if the FDA is forced by congress to change the grandfather date to include post 2007 blends such as ours, then we are free to continue production. That, however, is exceedingly unlikely at this point in time.
I can't tell you how sad and disappointed I am to have to tell you this. It's not where we wanted to be at this point in time, but I wanted to give you all the opportunity to order your favorites before it's too late.
-Dan

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Holy Moly. I got 11 more tins of War Horse. With my rate of consumption that plus what I have should last me a long long time. Sad. It was so great to see those old blends coming back and now this. Thanks for the heads up prairiedruid. Makes me wonder now if the plug will ever make it out or if it does if it'll be just a one-time production run

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Sablebrush, will they be issued because the money's already invested and might as well recoup what they can from a limited production run, or do you think it will be more permanent than Warhorse RR?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
2018 at the latest David. Not beyond that. Maybe not that long either. We'll have to wait and see.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I had been waiting for P&C's December monthly special to stock up but this news has moved things forward a few months.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sad and disappointed is an understatement. Damn! It's a sad state of affairs. Small businesses take another one in the groin. Pipe lovers get the shaft as well, retail establishments, distributors, employees all get dinged in the process. I'd move to Canada, but it's worse there for tobacco.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Wow, I really, really love Bengal Slices but I don't like how English blends age so I'm hosed. I love Warhorse and will have to stock up on that one before it goes bye bye. Good news about Warhorse Bar... Will it only be a one time run?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We'll never be able to patch together match blends to these from available tobacco, but if we keep notes on what leaf they had and in approximate proportions by taste, we might be able to approximate some of our favorites, so we won't be left without any reminiscent mixes. Also, as mentioned before, we should all mine the extensive inventories of pre-2007 (or whatever date) blends that have been sitting on the shelves moving very slowly. Some of those are really good, just not actively pushed. I think of Iwan Ries Three Star blends first, but every retailer has some of these, and many of them are very good. If we keep chipping away at this stock, it will keep our retailers in business and in a position to take advantage of any revisions in the regulations. Also, recipes using available leaf or blends will also expand the possibilities for mixing at home.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
That's what I was wondering hawky but from the sounds of it nobody really knows at this point, except of course, the guys at STP. But even then they may not be sure just depending on how things shake out down the line. Maybe John with STP can chime in on The Bar

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
And the FDA will tell you "This is for your own good" because none of us are smart enough to know what's good for us. You have to Love the Granny State, they're always looking out for our best interests! Make sure you let them know in Washington just how thankful you are come November.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well, I just place another ridiculously large order. I've spent over 5 grand on tobacco in the past 3 months. I'm set for the rest of my life, I've been hoarding tobacco since 2010 but every time I hear of another blend being pulled my instinct is to go buy, buy, buy. It's just a crying shame I can't afford everything that ever was or is in existence.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well, I just place another ridiculously large order. I've spent over 5 grand on tobacco in the past 3 months. I'm set for the rest of my life, I've been hoarding tobacco since 2010 but every time I hear of another blend being pulled my instinct is to go buy, buy, buy. It's just a crying shame I can't afford everything that ever was or is in existence.
:clap:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Damn Hawk!!'??? You have a problem!! Although I suppose you've got rid of one problem, not enough tobacco, for another problem, a money sucking addiction.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Nothing wrong with what your doing in my eyes. My total purchases are now up to $11,593.00 so far and more to come. I am working on German blends now.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Nothing wrong with what your doing in my eyes. My total purchases are now up to $11,593.00 so far and more to come. I am working on German blends now.
Gee makes my $120 order of Smyrna and War Horse seem piddly......wonder if the wife will let me be adopted by zitotczito!
Have pipe will travel. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.