PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2015
Smoking my first bowl of Stonehenge right now. So having little (or possibly no) experience with Lakeland blends...is this slight floral note similar to Lakeland? If so I need to explore more lakelands. I love condor but have heard some insist that it is not Lakeland at all so just asking for guidance.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Grab a couple of ounces of Ennerdale Flake. That one will tell you which of the love/hate camps you sit in. Love it myself.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Johnbarleycorn, you and I have seem to have somewhat similar tastes and I would recommend Kendal Flake any day over Ennerdale Flake. It's just as strongly scented but it has a better and more complicated dressing.
Nobody here has tried GH&Co's Louisiana Perique Flake?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I tried the GH Louisiana Perique over a year ago, and I didn't like it at the time, because I'm a total lightweight about any floral scent. I have gotten a little better about it since then, but still haven't smoked very much scented tobacco, and I am looking forward to trying the Stonehenge that's coming today. My glass is more than half full today!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I tried the GH Louisiana Perique over a year ago, and I didn't like it at the time, because I'm a total lightweight about any floral scent. I have gotten a little better about it since then, but still haven't smoked very much scented tobacco, and I am looking forward to trying the Stonehenge that's coming today. My glass is more than half full today!

Cool! Please report back and let us know how ya like it. Mine should arrive tomorrow so I'll try to post my thoughts as well.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
For all of you all worried about the Lakeland essence, I can't stand Lakeland blends and I get none of the soapiness/perfume in this blend at all.
Somebody once sent me a generous sample of Ennerdale and after one sniff I seriously threw it away. It never even saw a match. I'm glad to hear about this, grimpuffer.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I opened a tin just now... There is NO floral smell at all. To me the only tin note is chocolate-ty. Letting it dry before smoking.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I just opened a tin too. My first impression was peanut butter! I let my wife take a whiff and she said the same thing. Not just peanut butter, there are some other elements, but that was my first take on it. As far as smoking, nothing like peanut butter there! Just a very mild Lakeland essence which I thought got less noticeable the further down the bowl I smoked. It'll take me awhile to determine how much I like this blend, so far I like it but it's not blowing me away by any means. Things do change though...

mbwilson

Lurker
Jun 22, 2017
I've only just got mine in the mail at work. Haven't smoked any, but it smells just like Fribourg and Treyer High Dry Toast snuff to me. Can't wait to get home and fire up a bowl.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
Hawky 454 said "I'm hearing that people are saying that this looks and tastes identical to GH&Co's Louisiana Perique Flake. Wouldn't that be something if that's all it was? Anyone here have experience with both? "

Don't forget, Guys, that it's not just the component baccy's that determine the taste of a blend but the quality of those components.
For instance, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake has the same components as Davidoff Flake Medallions but, IMO, the quality used in the Flake Medallions makes for a much richer and smoother blend; other instances could perhaps be McC #2035/Dark Star, #2015/ McCranie's Red Ribbon (and so on).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Jimbo , if they taste the same (which is what a few folks are saying) then apparently they can't tell the difference between the quality of the leaf either. Gl Pease could tell us over and over that Stonehenge Flake is made of much better quality ingredients but if they taste the same, they taste the same. Even if they're not identical they sound close enough to be redundant. They are both VaPer's made in house by GH&Co. that have a slight hint of Lakeland perfume and a chocalate top note. There are no other VaPer's out there that have a chocolate topnote with the Lakeland essence other than the two made in the Gawith factory. Just an odd coincidence? It sounds like the 2001 release of Stonehenge Flake influenced them to release their own version of it (in 2007?) and they called it Louisiana Perique Flake but this is just pure speculation on my part but telling us that Stonehenge Flake is just Louisiana Perique Flake tinned up and called something else for the US market wouldn't sell many tins. I'm hoping Mr. Pease can expand on this theory. It could be all crazy talk but it's fun talking crazy talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.