PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
It seems that this white stuff is common on Esoterica tobaccos, from what I’ve seen others post. This Stonehaven is from 2019. The other flakes do not have this. So is it plume or mold?

Reactions: diamondback

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
The debate is too great to say one or the other, as some have concluded that anything that grows on tobacco is mold...that being said, the stuff I see in the picture looks “normal” for Esoterica and also Gawith...so, as long as the tobacco smelled appealing, it’d be something I personally would smoke. I know that’s not too helpful, but my Penzance has that and so does my St. James Flake, and I’m not quite dead yet...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn't smoke Stonehaven with or without Plume, but that certainly looks like what you've got there.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Ah, the age old conversation once again.
I recently jarred a bag of Stonehaven, I believe from 2017, (possibly 2018) and it had almost that exact same plume on it. Yes, I believe it to be plume and not mold, however I have not looked at it under a small microscope yet. I agree this is the best way to identify what it is. I also agree with spartacus, mold is fuzzy, not sparkly.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
This is a very educational thread for me, and I thank everyone for input. I’ve got a few sticks (cigars) with plume, but not as apparent as in the OP pic of course.

Nice thread! I learn a lot here.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Not mold. What's more interesting to me, those flakes look nothing at all like the Stonehaven I'm used to, which is a densely compressed (and I mean DENSE) but almost paper-thin flake.
I was thinking the same thing.

hqdefault.jpg

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Not mold. What's more interesting to me, those flakes look nothing at all like the Stonehaven I'm used to, which is a densely compressed (and I mean DENSE) but almost paper-thin flake.

I never noticed that myself, but now that you mention it I have a jar with 4 ounces of Stonehaven that I got this summer from the same B&M, and they do look different; they are dark and thin flakes. The flakes in the photos are thinner than they appear in the photos, but they do look different from the second batch I got. Fair point.

Sure looks like bloom to me. Did you assume it was fresh when you bought it earlier this year? It looks several years older.

They are from this year. I got them from a trusted B&M who cuts open the bags and sells them in two ounce portions. When I bought some more Stonehaven later this year, they actually had just cut the bags open when I walked in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.