PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I've had 8oz of Stonehaven aging in a mason jar for just over one year. I visually check on it periodically to ensure all is well, and recently had a concern it was beginning to show mold (you can read about that adventure here).
Thankfully, there wasn't any mold, but I did end up taking some neat shots of the tobacco's bloom under a microscope. They aren't going to win any prizes, but considering I rigged this up with some clamps, a "helping hand" tool, a pocket microscope, and an LED flashlight, they're not bad. However, I figured the piping community would enjoy them.
Anyway, enough blither blather, here's the pics:
CTIhLaZ.jpg

cgVgWGh.jpg

Ug01Ys1.jpg

N7M2Beh.jpg

U6feoZW.jpg

• Love
Reactions: BriarLinedMeer
May 31, 2012
TOTALLY FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS AND SHARING THE RESULTS!

I love this.
Stellar post and wonderful images!
Very very well done.

:clap:
Stonehaven bloom is a thing of delight,

I took a few photos from inside the jar:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pictures-of-pipe-tobacco/page/2#post-863029

...but your images really really highlight just how incredibly beautiful that mysterious crystalline stuff is.
I cannot thank you enough for sharing.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
  • Thank You.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
:puffy:

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have a Carl Zeiss microscope with all the bells and whistles from my research days that has dark field, separate light source and built in camera with 100x magnification. I doubt I could have taken more dramatic shots. Great work with minimalist equipment!

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Amazing pics!
Please excuse a novice question; but what is bloom, what causes it, and is it a bad or good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.