PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Very pleasant, tasty and simple. While I wouldn’t call it strong by any means, the burley does add a bit of heft and throat tingle. I can’t decide if there is a flavored topping. If it’s there, it’s very lightly applied. I’m more inclined to think there is a sugar casing that caramelizes a little bit. The sweetness isn’t cloying, but always there and I think to good effect. It really brings out the nutty cocoa flavors of the burley. By last third of the bowl it’s almost chocolatety. To my palate the Virginia is pretty subdued, but there’s a malty tangy dark fruit taste in the background that keeps this from being monotone. Other than the two components complementing each other, it’s not really complex, but I don’t think it was meant to be. It’s not an aromatic, but just a bit too sweet to be a purely “natural” blend. Nic level was medium. While I always have a hard time judging the room note of something I’m smoking, I’m sure most people would find it very nice. I’ll be buying more for sure.
I gravity packed it with a firm tamp. It lit and stayed lit without any issues, even though it probably could have used a bit more drying time. At one point I deliberately puffed it, and while it got a bit hot it never bit. However, best flavor came from gentle sipping.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I buy the five pound bag two to three times per year. This is a nice smoking, pleasantly nutty/sweet blend that's always nice to have on hand.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
@OP nice review!
@embers

That’s a lot of tobacco. How many years have you been buying this at this rate?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Since 2014. My overall cellar is pushing 300 pounds over the past 27 years of collecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.