PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I’ve been working on an order to see me through the Fall and Winter and I was wondering what tobaccos my august forum colleagues are ordering as well.

So for fall and winter, what’s in your order?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have enough tobacco to last me through a friggin nuclear winter. But to answer your question, ODF Plug Cut, Margate, Dan Salty Dogs, PH Curly Block, SG VAs, GH Flakes, and a copious amount of Plum Pudding Special Reserve. Give me Plugs or give me death..........ok maybe not death, but at least flakes.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
M

Merton

Autumn evening, spc plum pudding reserve, sleepy hollow and peretti Boston's best cavendish

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Nothing.
But if I was buying I'd be adding some old gowrie, bayou morning and probably more haunted bookshop

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing at all, my stash will long outlive me. No seasonal preference though.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I don't really need anything additional. However, I would probably pick up a few lbs. of Peter Stokkebye Flake. Navy, Bullseye, Twist. Maybe some GLP Gaslight and Quiet Nights for those cold winter nights when something hearty is warranted.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I perhaps smoke a bit more latakia in the winter. My stash is aqequate; I don't need to order anything in particular

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I just ordered a couple pounds of Straus Sleepy Hollow because either this year, or next year, could potentially be the last year it's available. With the current FDA dates, I would expect it to be available again one last time next fall, but who knows.

I've also been smoking Balkan Supreme, Shepherd's Pie, Chatham Manor, and Autumn Evening, plus the odd Virginia. I'd smoke a lot more Virginia if I could get my hands on a bigger supply of Samuel Gawith FVF, but that's neither here nor there...

Sutliff's Pumpkin Spice is nearly identical to Sleepy Hollow and is on sale at P&C right now.

I'm sure I will check out Sutliff Pumpkins Spice at some point, but for now I enjoy supporting a small pipe and cigar shop in my neck of the woods that blends its own tobacco, so I'm happy to buy Sleepy Hollow. Even if Sleepy Hollow is pricey, pipe tobacco on the whole (Sleepy Hollow included) is still cheap, all things considered.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In central N.C., the seasonal aspect of tobacco is not so strong. We do get stretches of ice and snow, but usually for three or four days. It can pop warm in December or even February. So you can smoke your sturdy English blends one day and your subtle Va/Per another, whatever the weather does. It has its pluses and minuses. We have definite seasons, with distinct variations.

Reactions: stogie37

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even if Sleepy Hollow is pricey, pipe tobacco on the whole (Sleepy Hollow included) is still cheap, all things considered.
Price is subjective I guess, but I would never consider a $40/pound difference cheap.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Price is subjective I guess, but I would never consider a $40/pound difference cheap.

I see what you're saying, but I just don't think of it that way, and don't think that the difference would have any practical effect on the budget of your average pipe smoker, or in our case, tobacco hoarders :).

By way of example / comparison, I don't care whether my tobacco costs 25 cents or 50 cents per bowl. At the end of the month, the difference between those two scenarios (25 cents per bowl vs. 50 cents) is about 20 bucks in a month at my rate, and for all the enjoyment I get out it I do not care a bit about the twenty bucks.

It's kind of like buying two lottery tickets to DOUBLE YOUR CHANCES. Yes, I suppose you would basically double your chances statistically, but it's probably going to ultimately be ineffectual on your overall expenditures and income.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I've noticed my tastes drastically leaning towards English blends with the decline of temperatures. I was worried I might be losing interest in English blends, but no. I just prefer them during cooler weather.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I’ve got enough to last me awhile, but if I were adding to my stocks it would be heavy on Lat blends to go with peaty scotch

Status
Not open for further replies.