PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
Hey guys,
On my new peterson the stem, when greeting by a certain pressure drag, creates a whistling noise
Is this a problem? Can I Fix this somehow?

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I believe its just with the way the tobacco has been packed and the way it burns and how the air is drawn through it. Are you noticing it everytime you smoke?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Greeting"?
Remove the stem and puff. If it doesn't whistle you've indeed got a bad pack.
If the stem DOES whistle, then it's a bad drilling and you should send it back if possible.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
If the stem DOES whistle, then it's a bad drilling and you should send it back if possible.
It does whistle with just the stem...
But this is the only one of this model my B&M had... and I LOVE it...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm guessing about the drilling. Regardless of the reason why it shouldn't whistle.
But congratulations, you've had your first Peterson disappointment.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
it only does it when i put an intense drag on it...
when I am smoking normally it doesnt make a sound...

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
A few of my stems whistle occasionally. I find that it is excess buildup inside the stem. Once I run a poker/reamer or bristle brush through the stem then an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through it to clean out the gunk it stops.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There may be a burr or piece of stem material lodged inside. It may take some ingenuity to remove that.

In any event, I would contact Peterson and see if a repair or replacement is an option.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
If you run a counter-sink drill bit (a big wide cone)on the tenon end of that stem, I bet it goes away.
What shape and is it a system pipe or not?

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
it only does it when i put an intense drag on it...
when I am smoking normally it doesnt make a sound...
If it doesn't do it when you smoke normally whats the problem?

Is the pipe smoking fine? Taste good? etc

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Yep, most likely it's the drilling it's one thing I check for when I make a pipe. It's usually just a piece of stem material from the drilling. But a step in the drilling can cause it as we'll. I work the interior a bit with needle files near the tenon end and with a little time can make the whistle go away. Pipe usually smokes a bit better when your done too.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Ok i am going to keep it for now, I just got it 2 days ago, so well inside warranty,
also emailed the B&M i purchased it from to see what they would do about this.
it did seem to lessen after i ran a bristle pipe cleaner through it a couple times...
maybe its just a burr like u said
The pipe smokes fantastic and tastes great! This is the only very minor thing about it I am worrying about

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Well if it smokes fine under normal smoking conditions i wouldn't worry about it. Now if i whistled while smoking normally i would be sending it back.

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
I had a pipe that did that. I use blunted drill bits. Grind the tip down. Carefully start your hole, by hand. I wear a snot glove on the hand holding the drill bit. I start w/ 5/32" or 1/8" whatever size does the least amount of cutting. And rotate the stem around the bit. Be very careful with bent stems. Also keep turning the stem when separating the stem from the bit. Check the draw and repeat w/slightly larger bit diameters until desired draw is achieved. I then use a counter sink to taper the first 1/16"-1/8" inch of the newly widened hole.bthere are some good articles on improving draw on the net. Good luck.

tomsmithusa

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2012
Southern Oregon
Good-to-read posts and recommendations . . .
I’ve had good success with drill bits, too. But, it may be tougher with the bent stem.
You might also try, with a coarse (wires & brush) pipe-cleaning brush inside the stem, heating the stem. With the stem nearly/at hot enough to bend, you can rotate and move back and forth the brush on the inside, usually catching that little spot causing the whistling.
These alcohol-wick burners provide a good, low, constant heat for heating pipe stems. A candle might do it, too.
8091014987_6177af9a12.jpg

tomsmithusa

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2012
Southern Oregon
I should add and not assume someone knows, but when heating a stem, don’t keep the flame in one spot as it will burn. Keep moving the stem over the flame close enough to heat it but far enough away to keep it from burning . . . you may have to try a few spots, like start of bend, center of bend, near the mortise, etcetera, if it’s a kind of stem that bends with heat. It looks like it from the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.