PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferd1398

Lurker
Oct 29, 2019
CA, USA
I recently cleaned a few estates I bought on eBay (ream, light sand, salt/alcohol). After the salt/alcohol treatment, I rinsed everything out with hot water and let them dry for about 4 days. After trying to re-insert the stems, they hardly fit. My guess is the water made the shank swell up? Do I just need to let them dry longer?

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Try to get them back together and let them rest. going forward, don't leave the stem removed for any extended period of time.

Reactions: ferd1398

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I would take a good look at the mortise. It’s possible some tar settled in there and solidified making it a tighter fit.

A small nylon brush with alcohol will clean that out. Or q-tips, or what have you.

Apply graphite to the tenon liberally, and then gently work the stem into the shank. Reapply if necessary. Take your time and work slowly.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Sometimes after a cleaning, an originally tight fitting stem will be tighter to reinsert because you have removed the whatever was on the walls of the mortise allowing it to be inserted more easily. The exposed bare briar does provide some resistance to inserting the stem.

In any case, graphite treatment will resolve this.

Reactions: john019
Status
Not open for further replies.